The first challenge

Nial

As I lept over the bale, I could hear the heavy footsteps of Laura behind me. Before she came to CHERUB, she was the best long distance runner at her school. I was pretty average, but CHERUB has trained me to be the best I can be. Now I was second, behind Fred, who was undoubtedly the best runner on campus. He was also my best friend. We had entered this competition because we had skipped all our computer science lessons - and this had earned us a eight month mission ban. 

Fred was way up ahead, and I was second. I could tell that Laura, Sean and Kai were right behind me. As there feet pounded the off - road course behind me, I had reached the river. 

I dived in, and immediately started flailing in the freezing water. Swimming was not my strong point, and my competitors knew this. As I flicked my head up for air, I glimpsed Sean and Kai powering past me, and Laura to the side. She was an average swimmer, and so was only just getting ahead of me, but Sean and Kai had gained around six seconds from this aquatic section of the course. Just behind Laura, I leapt out of the water, powering forward into the long grass on the other side. 

I soon overtook Laura as I was back on solid ground, but It wouldn't be solid for much longer. The next section of the course would be rope swings and climbing trees, in the small copse we were about to reach, right at the back off campus. I could see the tall oak trees towering above me as I entered the undergrowth.

As soon as I was inside, thing branches with smaller twigs attached ripped my arms and legs. I was wearing shorts and a thin T - shirt, so I had limited protection. As I ran deeper into the trees, I could hear Sean and Kai ahead. They were both older than me, and were total bullies. The two of them caused havoc most of the time, but their physical strength was second to none - they were both amongst some of the strongest boys on campus even if they were only fourteen.

I continued along the trail, hoping to catch them soon. Their incredible upper body strength gave them an advantage in climbing and swinging. Suddenly, I reached a rope ladder hanging down in front of me. Unfortunately, with the momentum I was carrying, I lept onto the rope swing and carried it along, swinging upwards so my back faced the ground. Despite this distracting proposition, I scrambled up the rope. As I did so, I could see Sean and Kai running along a rope bridge above me. They were increasing the gap. 

I reached the top and charged across the rope bridge, trying to catch them up. Thirty - six CHERUB's had entered this competition, and this first super-challenge would select only the first twelve finishers too continue. At the moment, I was fourth, but Laura was hot on my heels and as I shot my eyes downwards, I could see at least six older challengers climbing the ladder. 

I had reached the other side, and realised that I had to use an artificial vine to swing across. I wrapped my arms around it and pushed off with both feet. I flew through the air. The shout of Laura behind me, yelling:

"Give me that vine, Nial Barker!"

Oh yeah, that is my name by the way. Nial Barker. I was good at maths but bad at English, a good driver but a bad swimmer. I had my weaknesses, but at the end of the day, I would like to thing that I'm a pretty aweso-

THUD

And that's when the I ran into a tree.