Chapter 15 - Dylan's Ideas

Start from the beginning

“You just said the other night that I should get to know you better.” His smooth voice quieted with sadness. I saw Zach role his eyes and stick his finger down his throat.

“That didn’t mean right away,” I said, trying to soothe him and stop Zach at the same time. Why was he so interested in me? And why did he have to be so cute and British? Girls couldn’t reject a British accent. It was a proven, scientific fact.

“Today is just such a nice day. There was this special village I wanted to take you to in the country.” A little French village. Like from fairy tales? He was slowly winning me over and Zach saw it right away.

“Dylan, she’s very busy today,” Zach interrupted, his voice hinting at his annoyance. But surprisingly, Dylan didn’t shrink like I thought Zach’s voice would cause him to do. Instead, he stood a little taller. 

“I already checked her schedule in the office. She has nothing planned for today.” He checked my schedule? I was slightly creeped out. “Besides, you have a fiancé, don’t you? Why are you jealous?” Dylan’s snippy question almost sounded like an accusation.

“I’m not jealous,” Zach said indignantly, straying from character for a second. He composed himself quickly. “I’m here to protect her.”

I stood up from my makeup chair and looked around the room. A few eyes were glancing at us. I was so embarrassed, until I saw Christinne looking at me with her icy glare. I gave her a little smile. Let the murderer come to me. I could set up a trap Christinne would fall right into.

“I can assure you nothing will happen.” Dylan grabbed my hand. “I have a car outside, Emma.”

Zach said nothing. What else could he say without giving ourselves away?

“I’ll be right out,” I told Dylan. He didn’t look like he believed me, but he nodded.

After Dylan left, Zach shook his head at me. “We aren’t going to get anywhere with the case if you keep leaving with him.”

“What am I supposed to say?” I snapped at him quietly. “I’m sorry, I can’t come. I have to catch a murderer and turn them into the CIA. Oh, didn’t I mention that? I work for them!”

Zach put a finger to his mouth. “I understand, okay? Just be back by eight.” He sounded like my father. Though my father usually said be back by six, which made dating nearly impossible. I smiled to myself, recollecting the memory. Zach looked at his watch. “Looks like we’ll be pulling an all-nighter again.”

What else was new?

I slid in the back of Dylan’s shiny black car a few minutes later. Zach wasn’t happy, but Dylan didn’t seem like the person to give up that easily. Zach was going to spend the day watching Christinne and pulling her files while I worked some information out of Dylan. Our plan wasn’t amazing, but it was better than Zach sitting back at the hotel doing nothing.

Dylan turned on the radio, an indie group providing the meager background noise. I stared out the window as the buildings became less and further apart. Where was he taking me? I guessed the surprise was the fun of it, but I found myself not enjoying anything knowing that Zach was angry and alone.

“You’re quiet,” Dylan said as he looked at me in the rearview mirror. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I said quickly, shaking my head. I cursed myself for saying it too quickly. “Nothing,” I said again, slower.

“Whatever you say, Cinderella.” I heard a trace of disbelief in his voice, but he dropped the subject. “Do you like my car?”

What kind of question was that on a date? Was this a date? The car was nice, I guessed. There were a few stains on the seats, though, rusty blotches on the gray fabric. “Was it bought used?”