Chapter 2. Birthday of An Angel

Start from the beginning

"Xiulan..." I heard Zuntang called me with a sweet smile that never left her face this morning. She slowly took a stroll around my chamber.

I smiled back and caught up quickly to her. "Shi, Zuntang..."

She shook her head slowly. "Xiulan... Zuntang never thought Zuntang can take care of you till you become a good lady like this... I am so proud of you Xiulan..." she took a seat on the bench by the window as I sat next to her; she held both my hands with her warm hands gently.

I stared into Zuntang's tender eyes, I was so happy to hear that she was proud of me. It made me feel like I was the luckiest person in the world to have her as my mother. I was born premature, my uncle, who was a physician told my mother I was not able to survive if I were to be treated as a son of a minister because as minister's son you had to serve the empire. Since I was born I was always sick and up till now even though I was no longer weak, my body still could not make me do something like my brother could do.

It was such a sad news for my mother, who had to struggle in order to delivery me to this world. It was believed that if a sick son to grow up as a daughter, he would survive and become healthy. Then my mother decided to make me as a daughter instead. I knew how sad she was to sacrifice my life as a guy to be a woman. But I never ever blamed her for that. I just understood the fact that she loved me and she wanted the best for me.

"Zuntang.... Thank you so much... Thank you so much for taking care of me... it all happen because of you Niang... because you are the one who taking care of me and love me with all of your heart. Xiulan really feel so blessed to have you in Xiulan's life, your daughter is just a burden in your life yet you still care and love her with all of your heart, Xiulan feels grateful Zuntang..." I started crying like a baby, the tears would never get tired falling because of the woman in front of me now. I was crying not because I was sad... but I was crying because of the hope that God gave to me... because of the certain person who never got tired and bored of me.

Zuntang just could giggle weakly and pull me into her warm embrace. "Don't need to say that my daughter. Zuntang will do anything as long as Zuntang can make you happy. Zuntang will do anything as long as people do not hurt you... Zuntang will do anything as long as it is for your own goods. As long as Zuntang is alive, Zuntang never let someone hurt you... Zuntang promise that to God Xiulan.. since the first time Zuntang saw you and held your little body in Zuntang's arms..." she whispered to me, rubbing my back tenderly. The tears she had tried to hold back slowly rolled onto her cheeks, her beautiful face looked so tired.

"Zuntang... Duibuqi (I am sorry), Duibuqi for troubling you in this past few years. Please forgive Xiulan, Zuntang..."

"Forgive you for what, Xiulan?" she asked me slowly. I stared at her confusedly, I already did a lot of troubles for her. How could she ask me the things she should forgive about?

She sighed cupping my cheeks lovingly. "You did nothing wrong, my baby. Zuntang is so happy to have you in my life. You never did something wrong, there is nothing Zuntang should forgive you, Xiulan. With you live by Zuntang's side for more than 17 years excluding the months you were in Zuntang's belly, it is enough for me. it is enough baby." She kissed my forehead warmly.

I closed my eyes while feeling the kiss she was giving to me. My Zuntang was the beloved mother I could not ask more to God. Even though she was a lady, even though she was from high class society, she always lived with her own style. She never ever wore something so glamour like the other ladies did. She always helped many commoners without the disgusting feeling towards them. I always felt so proud of her, I always felt so proud that she was the one who gave birth to me, that she was the one who took care of me.