Mark gritted his teeth and clenched his hands into fists. It was clear he wanted to fight his way out of this. I stepped forward and gently pushed Mark aside before anything could start. "We'll tell you when we're ready," I told Scar, giving him a look sharper than flint. Scar got the message and stepped back. "Fine," he spat. "But I expect answers by tomorrow morning."

I nodded firmly. "You won't be disappointed," I told him.

"I better not be," Scar muttered, leaning close. "Or there'll be consequences."

"Like what?" Mark challenged, but Matthew grabbed him, pulling him into his chest and clamping a hand over his mouth while his other arm was secured around his throat; whispering into his ear. Mark seethed, and he hissed an answer back. Again, Matthew attempted to console him. Finally, Mark wrenched himself free of Matthew's grip and spat, "Fine."

Matthew gave a sigh of relief and returned to where we stood. I noticed his kept his distance from me, as if he couldn't get too close to me anymore without conjuring up memories of our past. Sighing, I focused my attention on Kai. He stood with his arms folded, looking rather bored with what was going on. It intrigued me; how he could be so demanding and mysterious. Kind of like myself. Kai's eyes flicked over to me, and I looked away, suddenly feeling self-conscious. Then I remembered who I was. What reputation I held. So I lifted my head and stared him straight in the eyes. Kai lifted one of his eyebrows at me, and I flicked mine in return. That made him smile; even if it was only for a moment. I grinned back at him.

"Kai!" He jumped at the sound of Scar's voice, and a small laugh escaped my mouth. As Scar began to speak, Kai looked at me out of the corner of his eye and gave a playful smirk before turning his attention to his leader. "Take them to the prisoner's quarters." 

"The prisoner's quarters?" Kai replied, looking bewildered.

"The visitor's quarters are currently being repaired; if you haven't forgotten." Scar's voice was full of sarcastic scorn, and his comment received some appreciative laughter from a few of the villagers. Kai's face flushed with heat, but he stood taller as he said with careful control, "Yes, I know, Scar. I just think that our visitors deserve better than the prisoner's quarters." Scar opened his mouth to protest, but Kai stopped him. "I mean, they're the Furious Five! The five most talented and skilled warriors China has ever seen!" Glancing back at us, he added, "And it looks like they're in great need of medical assistance." 

Scar looked us up and down, his lip curled, before he grunted. "I suppose they can join the others," he muttered. "But that doesn't mean you should trust them," he told the outer group. "Remember that they are not official members of the Tribe, and you should not listen to anything they have to say, because as The Code says . . ." He trailed off, and the villagers answered in a loud chorus. "Blood before water." I felt bewildered. Blood before water? What does that even mean? Kai's voice was loud and clear as he joined in, his gaze fixed on Scar.

Once the calls had died down, Scar pointed to a dark cave near his den. "Take them to Mira," he told Kai. Looking at us, he added, "Mira is our healer. She will take care of you."

For a few seconds, none of us moved. I glanced over at Violet. She had always been our official healer, because Jowmo taught her how. Jowmo . . . A deep ache filled my chest as I thought of her and Sifu and Oogoway; how worried they must be about us. A sudden energy filled my limbs, and I knew that we had to get back to the Jade Valley - no matter the cost.

Violet hesitantly opened her mouth to speak, but we were ushered across the camp before she could say anything. As we neared the cave, the scents of pungent herbs filled my nostrils; mingling together. When we entered it, my eyes were immediately plunged into dim light. There were small cracks in the roof, allowing sunlight and oxygen to come through. Small crevices in the cave walls stored many different kinds of herbs. There were three different passages leading off to different sections of the healing quarters. Each appeared to be like a small, tight tunnel descending into darkness.