First

"How the hell did this happen?!" Emilio shouted desperately, trying in vain to barricade the door.

"I don't know!" Tae yelled. "But everyone's gonna die because of me, this is all my fault!"

"That's not what we need to worry about right now," Carter said stepping forward. "Let's get our bearings and prepare to run. I'll be team leader, Ben, you're my second. Cliff and Emmett, I want a small team of strategists, on the double. Hana, Tristan, gather our weapons and help distribute. Caroline, Max, you've got medic duty."

"Got it," Caroline answered. "Max, you with me?"

"No," he replied. "I'm not..." The Delawarean pulled a pistol out from behind his back. The room went silent, although all fifty-four representatives were there.

"Max," Brian said finally. "What the he-"

"I'll just slow you down," he whispered, slowly bringing the gun to his own temple. "I can't handle this kind of thing, I'm too fragile."

"Max, that's crazy," the ginger snarled. "You can handle it, you'll be with us!"

"No," he said. "I...I have to do this...I want to do this." He looked up.

He saw the horrified faces of his fellow states, and then how none of them bothered to move. They wouldn't stop him. None of them would even try.

Except the hardheaded Pennsylvanian in front of him. Tears rolled down the ginger's pale cheeks. "Don't..." he whispered. "You're my best friend...my brother...without you...I can't...I..."

"You'll be fine without me," he snapped. "That smile will come back when you all survive." He let down the gun and went to the door. "I'll fight them or die trying," he said. "When I tell you to, run. And don't hold back, don't hold back for a single second."

He looked over at North Carolina, the only person who was better at medicine than him. "Caroline, keep these idiots safe. I nicked a couple vials of antidote from the research center, they'll be in my backpack. And keep this ginger bastard from going after me."

Max puffed out his chest and looked around at them. "Abby, Tae, Dillion, all of you," he nodded. "Fight like you're taking on England a second time. As for the rest of you, make me damn proud."

He graced them with a smile, something that almost sent Brian over the edge. "Stay strong," he said, looking directly at Pennsylvania. "On my signal Emilio. Everyone ready?"

Reluctant nods spread through the crowd and Delaware took aim at the door. "I have to be first," he said. "Everyone...now!"