Chapter I

I still can’t believe this is actually happening.  I’ve been planning up to this day for months now, but the fact that it’s here makes my knees wobble, and my thoughts tense. I look around and see all my friends; I see worry and sadness in their glossy eyes. I try my hardest to not cry and overthink this whole situation.

“C’mon Abigail, you don’t have to leave.” Blake whines while picking at my packed duffle bags.

I slowly turn towards him, tying my hardest to hold back my tears.

“You know I do Blake, but that doesn’t mean I want to.” I say tying to comfort him.

He sighs and sits down on the cold sidewalk curb, he notions for me to sit beside him. I slowly walk my tense, nervous muscles over to him and sit down.

He rests his heavy head on my shoulder. I take my arms and wrap them around his upper arms and kiss his forehead.

“I mean, why does she have to take you with her.” He sobs into my shoulder.

“Maybe because I’m her daughter.” I giggle, but Blake’s expression stays dark, and sad.

I release my grip on him and he slowly lifts his head off of my shoulder, I see tears start to form in his eyes. I reach over and try to wipe them but he pulls away from my touch.

“People always leave me.” He complains while looking in the other direction.

I feel a ray of saddens and regret fall over my body.

What do I say to that, I mean it’s true. His father was a drunk that beat his mother day in and day out. Blake is openly gay and his mother resents him for it, so she’s never home and never treats him like a son, but like a stranger, a strongly hated stranger. He is an only child so he doesn’t have anyone.

I’m the only one who was been there for him, and look at how great of a friend I’m being, moving halfway across the fucking world, leaving him here.

“C’mon Blake, don’t do that.” I sob while reaching out to touch his shoulder.

He jumps up away from my touch, and is now standing. He looks up at the cloudy skyline and digs his hands in his pockets.

“You know it’s true Abigail, people always leave me, and I don’t blame them.” My whole body tingles at his hurtful words.

How can he be so hard on himself? He is an amazing person and anyone would be more then lucky to even have him care for them.

“Blake, you can’t do this to yourself, you’re always putting yourself-.” Blake cuts me off midsentence when he brings his lips to mine.

I freeze in complete shock, and push his body away from mine.

“BLAKE, WHAT THE HELL?!” I scream at him, completely confused.

Blake just stands there, hands still in his pockets and expression completely blank.

“I thought that maybe if I could turn my gay off, people wouldn’t hate me.” He says softly and sits back down on the cold curb.

My heart completely drops. I can feel tears fall from my eyes. I knew people treating him different because of his sexual orientation hurt him, but I never imagined it was this bad.

I kneel down behind him and rest my head on his back and wrap my arms tightly around his broad shoulders.

I whisper in his ear, “Please Blake never ever feel you have to change who you are for the acceptance of other people, you deserve so much better and are worth so much more than you think.”

We sit in silence for a moment before I hear him start to cry. I tighten my arms around him, and he stops.

How do I leave him like this, fragile and alone? No one knows him the way I do and no one accepts him for who he is, and I’m just going to up and leave.

My mom pulls up the car in front of us. I hear Blake sniffle back his tears.

“C’mon Abbey, we want to get their this decade!” My mom yells from the car.

Blake takes my arms off from around his shoulders and stands me up in front of him. His blue eyes are gloomy and glossy; he grabs me hard and pulls me into his warm body. I can feel his pain generate through his clothes and into my body.

I feel my shoulder dampen from his tears. I hold back my tears as hard as I can and whisper to him,

“I will come back for you Blake, I promise and I will visit.” His cry gets louder from my words.

He pulls his body away from him and wipes his tears. I take his hands and place them in mine.

“You better call me every day.” I joke to him, trying to make him smile. But I get nothing.

“I will.” He says seriously, with his voice raspy and full of pain.

Mother honks the horn.

Blake leans into me and kisses me on the cheek, I smile softly and he flashes a small smile.

“I love you Abbey.” He mumbles, while placing his hands in his pockets moving away from the curb.

“I love you too Blakey,” I say as I take my heavy duffle bags in my hands, and slowly walk to the car. Throw them in the back seat, they shake the car and mom rolls her eyes and notions me to hurry up. I drag my body to car door and open it while waving to everyone, and finally get into the car. Mom drives away too fast for me to take in what just happened.

“You know you can’t visit him Abigail.” Mom says while turning down the radio. I feel a rush of confusion fall over my body.

 “What are you talking about?” I ask while taking my earphones out.

“You’re giving him false hope Abbey, I get that you’re trying to be a good friend but Boston to Australia is a bit of a long way to be travelling.”

 The rush of confusion turns into anger and rage.

“You mean like the false hope you gave to me and Adam when you told us Boston was going to be it, the last place we moved to, well look at us now, moving halfway across the fucking world. NOT FOR US FOR YOU, IT’S ALWAYS FOR YOUR BENEFIT!”

 I see Adam in the backseat turn up his music as I raise my voice. I feel my heartbeat raise and my cheek turn flush, I wait for a response from my mother, but I get nothing. I put my headphones in again; I play “Friends” by Hedley and look out my window.

The rest of the car ride is silent.