Time to Hit the Battlefield: Keisuke Yamanami

Scenario: You've trained, patrolled, and learned from your mentor-turned-friend. But then news comes that the Choushuu are conspiring against the Shinsengumi! Are you prepared to fight for the first time alongside the man that you've suddenly become friends with (and are now starting to have feelings for)?

******

"(y/n)?" You look up from washing clothes at the sound of Sannan-san's voice.

"Yes?"

His face is serious. "I just got out of a meeting with the other commanders."

"Oh?" You put the fabric back into the water basin, then stand up and dry your hands on your clothes. Sannan-san didn't often tell you things that he did; in fact, he was fairly secretive about what he did on his free time. Whatever he was about to say, it had to be important.

"(y/n), we just got word that the Chousuu are conspiring against us."

"What? That's terrible!"

He nods gravely. "Yes, it is." He looks like he wants to say something else, but doesn't.

"Sannan-san?"

He looks at you. "Yes?"

"Is there... Is there something you're not telling me?" He sighs, causing your heart to skip a beat. Why was he nervous?

"What I'm about to tell you might change your life forever."

"My life's already been changed by joining the Shinsengumi."

"I'm aware of that. But, this is different." He takes a deep breath. "(y/n), you have been called to fight in the battle."

You blink, almost disbelieving your own ears. "What?"

"Exactly as I said. You will be fighting at my side."

"I see..." You mull the idea over and over in your mind.

"Sannan-san?"

"Yes?"

"Will you help me get ready?"

"Of course."

"I -" You look at your hands. "I want to be strong. I want to build up my stamina as high as possible."

"(y/n)." Sannan-san reaches out and places a hand on your cheek. "You're already very strong. Do not worry; if something happens, I'll be right there at your side." You look up at him as your eyes meet his. Your cheeks turn red as you smile.

"Thank you, Sannan-san."

He pats you gently on your head. "You're very welcome."  

~~

A/N

I'm currently editing all the past one-shots due to extreme OOC that I have observed in my past writings. Please be patient as I finish revising and re-writing the old ones.

Once I finish editing, I will post new one-shots ^-^