First Encounter: Heisuke Todo

Scenario: While in the village, you drop your journal and a kind stranger returns it to you. Said stranger discovers that you want to become part of the Shinsengumi, so he makes that dream a reality for you.

******

"Hey, you!" You stop and look over your shoulder to see a boy about your age running after you.

"Yeah?"

"Here, you dropped this." He holds out a small notebook. Confused, you take it and read its cover. Suddenly, you become embarrassed.

"Oh, uh, thank you." You tuck it away in the folds of your clothing, but the boy is still looking curiously at you.

"What, is something on face?" You tease, smiling a bit. He shakes his head vigorously as his eyes grow wide.

"Oh no! I didn't mean to stare, it's just that..." He trails off as he rubs the back of his neck. You tilt your head to the side, finding this guy adorably awkward.

"Yes?"

"Well..." He hands you another piece of paper. "You dropped this too." Taking it, you recognize it as a page that fell out of the notebook -- which also happens to be your journal. You scan through its contents and your cheeks turn a rosy pink.

"Ah..."

An uncomfortable silence occurs between of the two of you until the boy in front of you bursts out, "Do you really want to become part of the Shinsengumi?"

Your head snaps up to look at the boy. "Huh? Well, I..."

"I can take you to their headquarters, if you'd like."

"Wha- Really?!" Your eyes light up with excitement. 

He nods, grinning. "Yeah! Follow me!" 

After arriving at the place where the Shinsengumi are currently stationed, the commander named Isami Kondo welcomes you heartily.

"Thank you for bringing (y/n) here, Heisuke" Commander Kondo says to the boy. "As captain of the eighth division, will you please show her around?"

"Captain?!" You're shocked at this revelation.

"Yeah, sure" the boy, introduced to you as Heisuke Todo, says. "C'mon!" Eagerly, he grabs your hand and shows you around headquarters. Smiling, you also become excited with the anticipation of the adventures that await you.  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I made the reader's character younger and more playful due to Heisuke's younger age. I feel that someone who could relate to his outlook on life would be best suited to him. Besides, I think that he'd be awkward with a girl more his age, which adds to the possibilities for his stories.