First Day of Training: Souji Okita

Scenario: It's your first day of training, and the one who found you is the one responsible for your instruction. What will it be like to train with him as your mentor?

******

"'Kay, let's get this done and over with" Okita-san mumbles, handing you a katana. You stare at it as your eyes fill with intense wonder.

"Wow" you breath. "I'm actually holding a real, honest-to-goodness katana!"

"And your point is?" He gives you a strange look. You suddenly realize what you just said and blush slightly.

"Ah, well, you see -"

"- You've never actually used a weapon before" he finishes for you. You nod shyly in affirmation. Okita-san sighs and rubs the back of his neck before taking the sword from you.

"You hold it like this." He places the hilt in your hand and wraps your fingers around it. You blush deeper at the close proximity, but focus your eyes on the sword.

"You're going to want to swing it like this." He steps away from you, draws his own blade, then swings it expertly in the air. You do your best to copy him, but the heavy weapon is still a bit foreign to you and you lose your balance.

"Kya!" You yelp as the hilt slips out of your hands and you fall to your knees.

"Hey!" Okita-san runs over to you. "What happened there?"

"Well, I tried to do what you did, but then I lost my balance, and I -"

"Don't waste your breath on trying to explain." He offers you his hand. "Here."

"Uh, thanks" you mutter as you place your hand in his.

"I guess we should take it a bit slower, huh?"

"If you wouldn't mind, that'd be great."

Okita-san picks up the fallen katana, then once again places it in your hand and re-positions your fingers. This time, he keeps his hands over yours and stands behind you, guiding you through the movements.

After some time, he is finally able to step back and verbally instruct you as he demonstrates the correct way to execute the movements.

"Well done" he says after a good hour or so of training. "You're sure to become a great fighter if you keep at it in the same way that you are now." Your ears perk up at the high praise.

"You really think so?"

Okita-san smiles faintly at you. "Yeah, I really do."