Time to Hit the Battlefield: Toshizo Hijikata

Scenario: You've trained, patrolled, and learned from your mentor-turned-friend. But then news comes that the Choushuu are conspiring against the Shinsengumi! Are you prepared to fight for the first time alongside the man that you've suddenly become friends with (and are now starting to have feelings for)?

******

"No."

"Why not?"

"It would be better if you stayed here."

You stomp your foot in protest. "Have some faith in me Hijikata-san!"

"(y/n) I want you to be safe."

"Perhaps I'd be safer defending myself with you at my side, right there to protect me."

"No."

"I'm not a little girl, Hijikata-san! I can fight battles as well."

"Stop defying my orders, (y/n)."

"No! I want to fight!"

"It's too dangerous."

"I don't give a s**t!"

"Watch your language, young lady!" You glare at him, and he glares right back.

"You're not my father."

"No, I'm not." Hijikata-san takes a deep, calming breath. "But, I am your mentor and commanding officer. As part of the Shinsengumi, you are bound under my orders."

"Tch." You fold your arms over your chest in a pout. You hated it whenever he was right, which he often was. You knew he was just looking out for you, and you really did appreciate it. But, why couldn't he see you for the warrior that you were?

"(y/n)?"

"What?!" You snap.

"Please calm down" he says, almost in exasperation.

"I am calm" you snarl through gritted teeth. Hijikata-san rolls his eyes, but continues nonetheless.

"We will be heading out to battle in a few days. If you can learn to take orders and control your emotions, you may come."

Your eyes widen. "Really?"

"Yes."

A smile crosses your lips. "Thanks, Hijikata-san!"

"Don't thank me until you're on the road."

"Right." A long pause.

"Hijikata-san?"

"Yes?"

"Can I...?" You walk over to him and slowly wrap your arms around his torso. He immediately stiffens.

"(y/n), what are you do-"

"Thank you."

"Ah, you're... welcome."