Chapter Two - The Sorting Ceremony

"Grey, Clara?"

Clara smiled to herself and walked up to the stool with grace and poise, as always, her chin high up in the air.

She sat on the tiny stool and waited for the hat to be placed on her head. The old woman, Professor Babbling, placed the hat on her head gently and stepped back.

"Grey. Ah, a family of Slytherins. I see creativity.. ambition. Hmm, noble ancestry.. A thirst for knowledge.. loyalty, ah, a loyal one.. and courage, too. Ambition.. hmm, you would do great in.. SLYTHERIN!" The hat declared, and table at the end of the Great Hall erupted with cheer.

Tom gave her a smirk, seated right across from her, as she accepted some congratulatory handshakes. Headmaster Dippet announced, "Let the feast begin!" and as if on cue, all the tables were filled with food and drinks.

After what seemed like ages, Tom spoke, "Welcome to Slytherin, Miss Grey."

Clara smiled, "Thank you, Mr. Riddle. I believe you're my- uh, our  Prefect?" She mentally groaned because of the slip up and hoped he didn't hear it. But he did - of course he did.

"Yes, I indeed am your Prefect," he teased. Clara's stomach did a back flip at that and she scoffed, trying to play it off.

Tom went back to reading the book he had on his lap and Clara beamed at the girl sitting next to her, who had been watching Tom and Clara talk.

"Clara Grey," she extended her arm with a polite smile on her face. "Allison Zenith," the girl grinned, tucking a strand of her golden blonde hair behind her ear. "I apologize for.. that. It's just that I've never seen Tom Riddle actually flirting with a girl," Allison said in a hushed voice, hoping Tom hadn't heard.

"Ah, that's alright. But that wasn't flirting, really," Clara emphasized on the word 'really' when Allison scoffed.

She pointed at a group of girls who were shooting daggers at Clara. "You see Susette, the blonde, and possé over there? They despise you already," Allison giggled. Clara raised an eyebrow, clearly not understanding why they would hate her.

"Let's just say they're in a Tom Riddle fan-club and they're not the people you want to mess with." Clara scowled, "And why's that?" Allison giggled at Clara's reaction before answering, "She's the Slytherin Prefect and she's quite the devil with her friends to back her up."

Clara shook her head, taking a bite of the roast chicken on her plate with a fork. "Doesn't concern me." Allison and Clara continued talking about various topics ranging from school gossip to their parents' background to Clara's schooling years at W.A.D.A. and what not. Clara found out that Allison's father worked at the Ministry too, in the Department of Security.

When the feast ended, the students were asked to go to their Common Rooms and Allison and Clara followed the rest of their House which was led by Tom as he was the Slytherin Prefect.

"That's Professor Slughorn, he's the Head of House for Slytherin," Allison pointed at an old man who was in a deep conversation with the Professor who had a long, white beard walking next to him. "He's got this club, the Slug Club, only invites the brightest of all students-"

"And of course, Grey, you wouldn't be one of them," interrupted a high, squeaky voice when they almost reached the dungeons. It was the blonde, Susette, the head of the group of girls who were glaring at Clara earlier, the other Slytherin Prefect.