O n e

Chapter 1:

"Your degree is absolutely dependent on this work placement which makes it mandatory. 80% of your final mark relies on this case note so make sure it's a good patient." Professor Collins stresses the point for maybe the 11th time in the past hour.

"Your seminar is now over. You may leave."

Oh thank god. Lexi sighes whilst packing her things into her bag.

It wasn't that she hated the seminar. Nor did she hate Professor Collins. No Siree. Alexa Reid was not a hateful person. So the only word she could use to convey her feelings towards her Psychology Professor was dislike.

She disliked his 'unique' teaching methods, as the college prospects puts it. Oh it's 'unique' alright. 'Uniquely disappointing' more like.

Lexi disliked the way he would talk too fast so she couldn't get down all the relevant notes and she disliked the way he would put students on the spot on the first day of class when they knew jack shit about the subject.

She simply disliked Professor Collins.

"Are you wondering if it's too late to do an easier degree, like chemical engineering or Astro physics, instead of psychology too?" Scott, Lexi's best friend asks in a bitter, but playful, tone.

Lexi can't help but giggle at the comment, followed by the stink eye given by Scott to Collins on the way out of the seminar room.

Collins clearly doesn't notice.

Let's just say Scott shares the same, if not more, dislike for their psychology professor.

"Oh shut up, Scott. He's not that bad." Re, Lexi's other best friend, but not for quite as long, chimes into the conversation after offering a small wave and a shy smile to the professor on their way out.

Again, he quite clearly doesn't notice.

And let's just say that Re desires the man passionately, romantically and some would say sexually because of his apparent good looks but we won't go there.

"That's just because you want to fuck him, Re." Scott yells loudly in order to embarrass the girl. He could be a complete tool sometimes but Lexi's learnt to love that about him. Or rather, still learning.

"Shh, he can her you! Dick." Re snarls, smacking him on the arm. Lexi cringes at the mere thought of her professor and best friend together, in that way.

"Guys, language." Lexi complains, chiming into the conversation once they're outside of the building. "And he's so old, Re. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Re scoffs. "He's not old. I looked him up on Facebook, Twitter and the college website. He's only 35 and he tweets about football so he's athletic." She explains in a matter of fact, paying no mind to the weirded out looks sent her way by Lexi and Scott at her stalker-ish behaviour. "Besides, love has no age." She performs dramatically causing Scott to make gagging noises and Lexi to cringe further.

"And anyway, you can't hate him already. The assignment hasn't started yet. At least wait until you meet your patient." Re says when she knows both Lexi and Scott are exchanging eye rolls behind her. "What better way to start our degree than with actual, real life, psychotic patients as our assignment?"

This was true. Lexi may be new to the field but there's no doubt that this experience will benefit her in the future both academically and personally. She could just imagine the endless career options she would have from this assignment alone.