Explanation

-avatar the reader chronicles-

born to a home in the fire nation with a fire bending mother and a earthbending father. you lived on the street when your home and parents had been mysteriously destroyed. rumor was the lord of the fire nation had begun destroying the home of any of his followers who married a bender from another nation. and so you were alone living in the allies of the fire nation streets. scraping by whatever little bit of food you could find. often the citizens who couldn't bend would take pity on you and offer you a hand out of small amounts of food. it wasn't much but it kept you alive. the destruction of your home happened when you were 5. You still had not discovered if you had any bending ability at all. You knew the way the lord of the fire kingdom treated his subjects was awful. You have experienced his wrath first hand. Everyday you lived you prayed that the new avatar would be born soon and come end this man's tyrannical rule.

After spending only a few days alone you began being ganged up on by teenagers who sought satisfaction in watching you beg for them to quit punching you. During one of these fights you had learned of your ability to bend fire. that brought you a little joy knowing that you at least had a way to defend yourself.

A year later you found a new ability while bathing in stream outside town. you realized that you could make the water bend but only a little. this was when you realized you were the next avatar born through the cycle of generations into the fire nation. you resolved to end the evil lord of fires rule over this kingdom and began training your firebending skills at a school for fire benders while secretly practicing moving water. though you found it too difficult to move the water and made zero progress.

you also found that if you tried hard enough you could push a tiny bit of air and move a single small rock, but just like with water you had trouble mastering it cuz you didn't know the stances. it isn't like there was any other bender to watch for you to learn how. Anyone suspected of bending anything but fire had been swiftly dragged off to captivity or killed by a raid army. and the citizens that could bend fire were always put in the army.

those who could not bend the elements were not safe from his wrath either. His heavy taxes were laid on the citizens for shelter, for food, and for clothing... everything had a tax. The fire benders that were called to the army who refused to join were seen as traitors to the crown and swiftly executed.

On your 10th birthday you found yourself at the firebending school pretending to not be the avatar. You'd done it for so long now it was easy to hide the fact that you knew you weren't a normal firebending student. Today ironically also marked the day you finally moved on to advanced training. and so after training for 5 years to master the basics of firebending you were now moving with the rest of those who passed to a new school where you would learn advanced firebending techniques, which included the very rare ability to bend lightning which only a few firebenders can master. 

This is where your story begins.