Chapter XIII: Professor Black

Start from the beginning

"Your opponent has no warning about what kind of spell you are about to perform. So I guess that gives you a split-second advantage?" Answered Oliver Wood. "Top marks Mr. Wood. Ten points to Gryffindor. Practical experience over theoretical knowledge makes you more prepared to act in unexpected situations. Wands out everyone."

Sirius divided the class into numerous pairs. He was smart enough to pair the Gryffindors against themselves otherwise he knew all too well that things would get ugly. All the students were doing quite well and by the end of the lesson, most of the students had successfully managed to perform at least one non verbal spell.

Throughout the lesson, as he inspected the students' performance, he caught the girls whispering among themselves. When he had asked them what was it that they were discussing so enthusiastically, they had turned a deep shade of red and fervently told him that it was 'nothing at all.' The dreamy looks that they were shooting towards their new professor made it clear that whatever they were discussing was most certainly not related to the syllabus.

"That's all for today. No homework this time. I'll see you'll again on Friday when we'll be having another practical lesson. Class dismissed." As the students filed out of the class, they were thoroughly satisfied with the lesson. After a long time, they had actually enjoyed a Defence class. They had expected a long boring lecture followed by lengthy essays but it seemed as if things had finally taken a turn for the better. The new  Professor's easy going attitude coupled with his sense of humour and suave appearance had made their first lesson of the year damn good.

Sirius hummed in satisfaction since his first class as a Professor had gone so well. He only hoped all his other batches went equally well.

**************************************************

Unfortunately for Harry, his day hadn't been as great as his godfather's. The second years had trudged to the dungeons for double potions where Snape had made every single effort to taunt him and knock points off wherever he could. Harry had exercised a great deal of self control to keep his temper in check. After the seemingly unending lesson, he had wasted no time in packing his stuff and exiting the stuffy dungeons without glancing back even once.

History of Magic wasn't any better either. Binns droned on in his monotonous voice and Harry tried to stay awake although he didn't have much of a choice since Hermione kept on nudging him, trying to keep him attentive. After that lesson, they had to go for lunch and Harry had never felt so thankful.

During lunch, Harry and Ron received a note from Mcgonagall regarding their detention that would take place the next evening.  Fortunately for the two of them they had the detention together but unfortunately, Filch would be the one supervising them.

"Hey Potter!" Harry looked up to see Oliver Wood coming towards him. "Quidditch practice begins next week onwards. You'd better be there because we have to win the cup this year. There can be no mistakes this time." Said the Gryffindor sixth year, instinctively slipping into Captain mode. "I'll be there. Don't worry." Harry assured him.

Later, Harry went off to meet Sirius after telling his two friends that he'd meet them at the end of the day. The two of them had said that it was alright after which Hermione dragged a protesting Ron to the library (Bloody hell Hermione!).

Harry found Sirius when he reached his quarters. "Hey there kiddo. How was your first day?" Asked Sirius as he sat down next to Harry. "It was pretty boring." Harry admitted. "We had Potions and History of magic and the Professors went on and on." Harry admitted.

Sirius tried to look stern but failed miserably.  "Well, I certainly hope you don't feel the same way about my class tomorrow. You had better pay attention or you'll end up getting detention young man." He said seriously. Harry looked up at his godfather with a slightly worried expression but when he saw the similar smile, he realised that Sirius was only teasing. "Well, I will try my best to not fall asleep during your lesson Professor." He replied a little cheekily. He suddenly felt that he might have gone too far but Sirius only grinned back in response and before Harry realised, his godfather tugged on his arm and pulled him towards himself. Before Harry knew he was squealing with laughter when Sirius's fingers attacked his stomach. "So you plan to fall asleep in my class?" Sirius asked with mock sternness as he tickled Harry mercilessly. By now, Harry had dissolved into peals of laughter. "No, I promise..... I won't." Harry spoke as best as he could, in between his giggles.