Chapter VII: A Proposition

Godfather and godson stepped out of the flames and into Dumbledore's office. "Good afternoon Sirius, Harry." He smiled at the two of them pleasantly.

The two of them greeted him back after which Dumbledore asked Sirius to take a seat on the opposite side of the desk and told Harry to go and take a seat on one of the plush armchairs that were located on the other side of the office.

Harry looked at Sirius who gave him a reassuring nod and jerked his chin towards the other side. Harry reluctantly left his godfather with Dumbledore and went off to where he was told.

It was clear that whatever Dumbledore wanted to discuss right now must be quite important considering the look of seriousness that was hidden by his smile and the customary twinkle in his blue eyes. "Sirius my boy, I am happy you could come over today on such short notice but what I need to ask of you is rather important." Sirius nodded his head for Dumbledore to continue. "I have an offer of sorts for you. To accept or reject it is completely up to you but I am hoping that you will accept it."

"Ok..."

"I was wondering if you would like to take up the Defence Against the Dark Arts post this year. We are after all in need of a capable professor and you happen to be my very first option." Said Dumbledore.

Him? Teaching a group of students?

If he wasn't so stunned, he would've actually laughed himself silly. "Me? No offence Albus but are you alright? James and I were the most mischievous students to have roamed the school. We got more detentions in one year than most people did in seven years and now you want me to come back and teach? I really don't think I'm the best person for this job." The genial old man smiled like he had been expecting such a comment from his former student.

"I have absolutely no doubt in you my boy. After all, it is clear that you have simmered down over the years and are more than capable to take up this post. Do consider it." Said Dumbledore, his eyes twinkling mirthfully.

Sirius thought about Dumbledore's words. It was true that he had become more responsible and serious (no pun intended) now thanks to Azkaban. Besides, if he took up the post, he would be able to be there for Harry when his godson needed him and the teaching part could be handled quite easily now that he thought of it. He could ask Moony to help him with the lesson plans. "I'll think about it."

"Wonderful." Said Dumbledore, leaning against the backrest of his chair.

"Anything else?" Sirius asked Dumbledore. The old man shook his head so Sirius decided to wrap the meeting up. "Very well then. I'll take your leave now Albus." He stood up, went to where Harry was sitting, lost in thought and gently shook his godson's slight shoulder.

Harry, who had been sitting and thinking there, brimming with curiosity, was jostled out of his thoughts by a hand on his shoulder. "Let's go pup." He looked up to see Sirius smiling at him.

"Yeah ok." Said Harry and they left the pristine office without further ado.

After that, as promised, Sirius took Harry to honeydukes where Harry picked up a lot more than just a few chocolate frogs and licorice wands. The main reason Sirius had wanted to take Harry out was because he silently wanted to observe how much his godson had opened up.

During their previous outing, Harry had been so afraid and frightened that he had hardly spoken at all. But now, the observation hadn't disappointed Sirius as he saw the boy prancing around the store, his arms loaded with all sorts of goodies including a pack of Bertie Bott's every flavoured beans, acid pops, sugar quills, toothflossing springmints and of course, a dozen chocolate frogs.

Once Sirius was sure that Harry had enough candy for quite sometime, he saw that his godson's arms were loaded with some more, he gave Harry the look. They were in the middle of the summer and he didn't want his godson getting sick. "You'll end up with a bad stomach young man. Put those back." He instructed firmly. Harry pouted and gave his godfather the best puppy eyes that he could muster although he knew pretty well be now that Sirius wouldn't budge. When the only reaction he got from the Animagus was a gesture towards the shelves, resignedly, Harry placed the stuff that he had in his arms back where they belonged. He cheered up a bit though when he saw that they had picked up quite a lot.