Chapter One

Hey there, my names Cody. Cody Carson. I’m a singer in a band called Set it Off. We’re just six best friends living the tour life. I have a girlfriend, her names Cameron. I met her at one of our shows on tour. I couldn’t tell you which one to be honest, all I know is she wasn’t from that state. She’s from Florida, like me. I think she was visiting a friend or something, and came to the show. Her friend loves us too, I think her name is Cathy. 

We’re on tour again, and honestly, even though she wont admit it, Cameron hates when I’m on tour. I know she’s afraid of another girl catching my attention. I can’t lie, some have, but come on, I’m a guy. What do you expect, but I’m not going to cheat on Cameron. I’m not like that, and I never will be. You could say Cameron is a little controlling though. All the guys question me about it, but I blow it off. 

Oh, let me tell you a little about the guys. Okay, lets see, there’s Dan, he plays guitar and does back up vocals for me. Then there’s Zach, he also plays guitar. Austin is our bass player. Maxx plays drums, he has a girlfriend also, her name is Marie. She’s sweet. And last but not least, he doesn’t play an instrument, but Andrew is our tour manager. He’s the best one around. I’ve know Dan the longest, ten years.  

--------

“Hey babe, what are you doing?”  I read the text and sighed. She was always asking me that. 

“Nothing, sitting in the van as Maxx drives. You?” I asked her back. 

A few minutes went by and my phone buzzed again, “Just hanging out with Troy.” 

“That’s cool.” I sent back. Troy is Cameron’s best friend. 

“What’s up dude?” Dan turned around in his seat when he heard me sigh. 

I looked up from my phone, “Nothing, just asking what I’m doing again.” 

“Shouldn’t she know that half the time, you are sitting in that spot, or driving?” Dan asked.

Zach leaned forward, “Unless he’s eating or singing.”

“Or talking to fans.. Or pooping,” Andrew chimed in, from the front seat. 

I laughed, “I get it guys. Yeah, she should.. But she just wants to know.”

Dan looked at me. I can’t keep anything from him, he knows me better than I know myself, “I’ll talk later.” I whispered and he turned back around. 

I put my head phones in and turned on music. I wasn’t really playing attention to what was playing, I just didn’t want to be bothered anymore. I saw the “Welcome to Ohio” sign as we passed it and was happy to be in the state, because this drive felt like it was taking forever. I was excited to play Cleveland tonight, they were always an amazing crowd. 

“Hey, we are here.” Dan said while shaking me. 

I didn’t remember falling asleep, “Where are we?” 

Dan laughed, “The venue. Come on, get up and start warming up your voice, it’s almost time for sound check.” 

I got up and rubbed my eyes. After a yawn and stretch I got out of the van and walked into the venue. Looking around I smiled, remembering playing this venue for the first time. It’s called Peabodys. 

Zach walked past me with his guitar and I walked over to the stage to help set up for sound check. When we were ready we ran through the set a few times until we felt everything was good to go, and all the instruments were good.  

“Food?” Andrew asked everyone.

“Yes, I’m starving. Maxx wouldn’t stop.” Austin said. 

“Hey, we needed to make it here in time.” Maxx said defensively. 

Andrew laughed and started to walk away. We all followed him outside, the back way. We were told a line was already forming and we weren’t ready to hang out with fans, or we would never get food. We walked down the street and around the corner to the pizza shop on the corner. When we walked in we all walked up to the counter and ordered our food. After everyone was done Andrew swiped the band credit card. We used to use cash, but it was easier this way. 

Soon they were calling us back up to the counter for our food. The one thing I loved about this place was it had a slushy machine. They were nice on hot days like today. A few fans walked in, and I knew they were fans when they put their hands to their mouths and pointed. I sighed knowing they’d be over by us soon. 

------

“I’m about to go on, I’ll talk to you later.” I sent back to Cameron and gave my phone to Andrew. 

He slapped my shoulder and gave me a slight smile, knowing why I had a frown on my face. I took a deep breath and got ready to run out on stage. As Dan took his spot I jumped slightly and ran out. The lights flashed on and I started to sing our song, “Breath in, Breath out.” 

“What’s up Cleveland?” I yelled into the microphone after a few songs and the crowd screamed. “What? I can’t hear you!” I said and they screamed louder. 

“That’s good, very good! Okay I’m going to go old school and slow it down a bit. This song is called, “Missing you”

As I started to sing I looked to my left, there was the most breath taking girl, holding her hand up. I could see her lips moving. It looked like her eyes were filling up with tears. I reached out and grabbed her hand, holding it for the rest of the song. When she smiled up at me I couldn’t help but smile back. I didn’t know what was happening but I felt like a spell was put over me, and I wasn’t sure if it was a good thing. 

When the song came to an end I let go of her hand and walked back to the center of the stage. “Okay, this is our last song.” I said and the guys started playing “Nightmare”. I looked back over to my left and smiled at her. I needed to know who she was.  When the song ended I reminded the crowd we would be at the merch table soon, then walked off the stage.