Chapter 2

~****~

         After about two hours of sitting in my room pouting, Peter came to comfort me. "Hey, "Ro," he said. I smiled at his nickname. "Did you hear?" I asked. "I'm marrying a jerk!" I clenched my fists and grit my teeth at the mention of Prince William. Peter hugged me to his side. I sniffed into his shirt. "It's not fair!" I cried. "I want to pick my own King! I want to!" He sighed, rubbing my back. "Don't worry, Rose," he said. "You'll get out of this somehow." I smiled at his words. "Thanks, Peter," I said. Hey, I just realized I never described Peter to you! Okay, he has reddish-brown hair and bright green eyes. He's muscular, but not too much. He's very handsome.Whoa, don't think I like him like that! He's like a big brother to me. I love him a lot.

         I moved back from him and smiled ruefully. "Well, there goes our plan for getting married," he said. I smiled. We had this little plan to get married. Not because we're in love or anything, no, no. Just becasue we understand each other and wouldn't fight. I sighed frowning. Now, I guess, that plan is down the drain. Well, Daddy just ruined my life! I bet he doesn't even realize it, either. Peter stood up, pulling me with him. "The King wants you," he said. I scowled. With a huff, I plopped myself back down on the bed. "Well, I'm not going," I said. He smiled and shook his head.

         One second I was sitting on my bed, the next second I was going down the hall over Peter's shoulder. "Peter!" I screamed. "Put me down! Now!" He laughed, breaking into a run. "Pe-ete-er!" I screamed. He was still laughing. "Stop, Peter!" I said laughing. He opened a door and threw me in. I landed on my feet, stumbling a few steps, then righting myself. I was laughing, but when I saw who was in the room, I stopped immediately. It was Daddy and King Perrin. Stupid Peter. Traitor. "Hello," I started cautiously. "Come here, Rosealinda," Daddy said. I moved slowly toward him. "Yes, Father?" I asked. "Rose," he started. "I'm sorry for putting you on the spot. But you will be getting married to Prince William. Your wedding is in three months." I almost fainted. Three months!? "That early, Daddy?" I choked out. He nodded. "Your birthday is soon, is it not?" he asked.

      "A month and a half," I said. "But-" Daddy cut me off. "In three months, we will be giving you and Prince William both the thrones, and you will be married," he said. I slumped in defeat. "But Daddy, I don't want to marry Prince William," I said. He smiled shaking his head. "Duty before want, sweetheart," he said. "Don't worry, Princess Rosealinda," King Perrin said. "Prince William isn't that bad." I tried for a smile, but I think I just grimaced. "well, I really must be going," King Perrin said. "Take good care of William for us." Time seemed to stop for a minute. "If you don't mind me asking, Your Majesty, what do you mean, 'take good care of Prince William?'" I aksed. He smiled. "Don't you know?" he said. William is staying here until the wedding." I almost fell over. With one last bow, King Cole Perrin was gone.

~****~

     I turned to Daddy. "Is it true?" I asked. "The obnoxious jerk is staying here?" King Verin glanced at me sharply. "Rosealinda!" he said. "Don't talk about him that way! And yes, Prince William is staying here." I groaned. With one last lingering glare,I left the room. I refrained from slamming the door. I stormed down the hallway, my destination set as the gardens. It's a place I go when I'm angry or upset.

      I burst into the courtyard, intent on getting shears to make a flower arrangement. It's a pretty weird hobby, I have to admit. I stalked into the supply shed and grabbed a pair of shears. I calmed down a bit at the sight of them. Flowers calm me, I don't know why. I walked over to my favorite flowers; roses. Mother always told me the reason why I was named Rosealinda was because when I was born, I immediately started reacing for the vase on the bedside table, which had roses in it. I always loved roses. 

    I cut a few off and made sure not to prick myself on a thorn. I started humming to myself. I walked over to the pansies and daisies and got a few of them, too. I walked over to my little bench. It was surrounded by flowers of all kinds. I closed my eyes, breathing deeply. I smelled all kinds of flowers. This is my sanctuary. Mine. I stopped humming and started whistling. i slipped a rose into my hair. I opened my eyes to find a few birds near me. I reached my hand out to one; the one who always comes. He happily hopped into my finger and I smiled. I stroked his back and little wings. He's adorable. I launched him back into the air and laid back against my stone bench. This was made for me, after all.

    I closed my eyes and basted in the sunlight. It's good for me, I'm told. I think it is. Sunshine makes me look prettier. I smiled softly. All my thoughts left my head as I sat here. All I heard was the birds, the flowers ruffling, and the wind. All I smelled was the flowers and the grass. All I thought about wa how beautiful this scene is. And that's why I didn't even notice as Prince William came into my little sanctuary. No, I didn't notice. He was silent, bent on scaring me. I was in my own little world. "Boo!" he screamed.

    I sat forward quickly. A startled gasp left my lips. And my left wrist started stinging. Prince William was cracking up, not realizing what he made me do. I looked down at my hands. I cut my left wrist with the shears. I screamed in agony. Prince William looked over at me, wiping tears. I stood up quickly. My dress was soaked in blood. My wrist was dripping. I cradled my left hand in my right one. I ran past Willaim. He wasn't laughing anymore. No, he looked scared. I started to feel faint. I stumbled a few steps. 

    Just a little more, and I'll make it to the castle. Just a little more. As more and more blood dripped out of my wrist, I stumbled on, trying to get home. This is why Prince William should be banned from the castle. I stumbled and fell. That's when Prince William picked me up and ran to the castle. I don't know what happened next. I think I fainted? But all I know is, there's no pain anymore.

~****~