Part II : Chapter XVIII

Start from the beginning

                “I just do,” I said nonchalantly, shrugging my shoulders. I took a seat and Steve followed, sitting right next to me. I slipped a heavy looking book of Asgardian Tales out of my bag and opened it to the spot I had left off on.  A hand blocked the words from my vision, and I glanced up to see it was Steve’s. He gently closed the book and slipped it back into my bag. “Yes?”

                “Take a break, Princess.”

                “I haven’t even started,” I defended, preventing a smile from forming onto my face.

                “Even better.”

         We both sat together, telling each other jokes and having pointless arguments since he didn't want me reading, not when he had the chance to talk to me. (Those were his words, not mine.) Steve stood up, standing right in front of me, claiming that he was tired of sitting. All our joking and playfulness came to a stop as soon as Agent Coulson stepped back into view, reminding us that this was no time to be joking around. Phil leaned against the small wall that covered the pilot from the seats, glancing at the both of us.

                Steve cleared his throat. “So this Dr. Banner was trying to replicate the serum they used on me?”

                “A lot of people were,” Phil confessed. “You were the world’s first super hero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erksmes original formula.”

                “Didn’t really go his way, did it?”

                “Not so much. When he’s not that thing, though, the guy’s like a Stephen Hawking.”

                “Thing?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow. I knew of Dr. Banner’s unfortunate radiation exposure and of what he becomes when angered. I wouldn’t call that side of him a ‘thing’ though. It sounds a bit rude, but I know Phil didn’t mean it that way. Steve and I exchanged a puzzled look before glancing back at Phil. Who is Stephen Hawking?

                “He’s like a smart person,” Phil explained.

                “Like Erik,” I murmured absent mindedly. Phil nodded glumly and I plastered a fake smile on my face, not wanting to go there again. Although, I don’t think my fake smile was fooling Steve from the look he just sent me.

                “I gotta say it’s an honor to meet you officially,” Phil began and Steve smiled. “I’ve sort of met you. I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping.”

                Steve’s smile faded. His expression was a mixture between puzzled and awkward, causing small tension to build up. Even I sent Phil an awkward glance. “I mean, I was present…While you were unconscious from the ice.” Phil immediately said, trying to recover himself from that awkward sentence.

                Steve inched a bit closer to me, furthering himself away from Phil.