Chapter 15

"Thank God, you didn't burn the place down, Campbell! " Pearl jokes, as he answers the door. "C'mon in, you! " he exclaims with a grin, pulling her in. "I wanna show you the changes I made in here while you were out." he announces, ecstatically. "Gimme some sugar first!" she requests, teasingly. He takes her by surprise as he lifts her up, holding her by the waist! "I meant, gimme a kiss, silly! " she chuckles, brushing his unruly hair aside with her fingers, so that it doesn't cover his eyes. "I knew that. Just wanted to do this! " he exclaims, twirling her around. She cups his face in her hands as soon as he stops twirling her & plants a kiss on the corner of his mouth. "Ok, lemme down, champ! I wanna see these changes that you've made! " she declares, as he lowers her to the floor. "Not much of an improvement. I mean, it's still dark an' dull in here, though a lot neater." she mutters, feeling unimpressed. "Aye! That's 'coz this is you! " he explains. "What does that mean...This is me?" a confused Pearl demands an explanation. "This is who you are. Rather dull an' cheerless..." he begins. "That's rather insulting,Campbell." she complains, feeling offended by his idea of her. "Ya didn't lemme finish! " he continues, tugging her along with him to the bedroom. She stares in wonder at the colour-splashed ceiling an' multicolored wallpaper "An' this is me! See? It's based on our personalities! " he exclaims, excitedly. "You...." he exclaims, hopping back into the dull living room, before hopping back into the bedroom & exclaiming - "Me! " She tries to match up to his enthusiasm by hopping along! "An' together, it's us! " he exclaims, pulling aside the drapes in the living room, letting in the sunlight....revealing colourful caricatures of them both in a dark corner of the room! "Your neighbor, Mr. Hooper's a brilliant artist! " he whispers into her ear, as she stares, speechless by the sight!  "What're you transforming my apartment into the Sistine chapel? Where'd you get all this paint from? " a surprised Pearl enquires. "Found some ol paint cans in the storeroom." he replies. "Of course! I'd bought em to paint the baby's nursery...." she remembers, choking up. She slumps onto a chair, tears filling her eyes. "Just think o' it this way....Every time you step into the bedroom , you'll see these colours an' remember your baby an' it'll help keep the memories alive. It doesn't matter if ya never got to paint the nursery, 'coz now we used up that paint for somethin better. We used it to create our own wonderful, colourful memories to cancel out the dark, hurtful memories! " the lanky, cheerful boy explains, kneeling beside her & clasping her hand in his to comfort her. He helps her to her feet & hugs her tightly, as she buries her face into his chest & sobs. "Shhh...just let it out..." he comforts her, running his fingers through her hair. "Campbell? " she whispers, looking up at him with her damp eyes. "Hmm? " he leans in to listen to her. "I'm hungry. Is there any food left in the fridge?  " she whispers into his ear.  "I thought you'd never ask! How about we hit the shops?" he asks. "I dunno,Campbell. Usually, Georgie buys all my groceries for me. I've never set foot in a grocery store to buy stuff before...although, I've shut one down once! " she reveals, nervously. "How come? I mean, I've never been to one 'coz I've been stuck in a loony bin for so long! What's your excuse? " he asks, in disbelief. She shrugs her shoulders. "C'mon, you! It's time to live a little! " he exclaims, hurrying out the door. She follows him, managing to keep up with his quick, energetic pace.