Chapter 9

"Phew! That was a close call! " a panting Pearl heaves a sigh of relief, as she sits across Campbell in the cafeteria with a steaming hot cup of coffee. "Careful, Campbell! It's hot! " she warns. But, she's too late! He's already burnt his tongue! "That's bitter! Why didntcha warn me earlier?! " he asks, spitting it out. "It's coffee, Campbell. What did you expect? " she replies, blowing at her coffee to cool it. "Sorry, I haven't drunk any before!" he confesses. "That's why I've still got pearly, white teeth! " he boasts, displaying his toothy grin. "You're silly, Campbell Bain! " she chuckles, handing him a napkin to wipe his frothy nose. "If you don't want it, just say so, Campbell. More for me! " she exclaims excitedly, pulling his cup closer to herself. Campbell satisfies himself with a hot cocoa. "I can't start my day without my coffee, ya know, Campbell? " she confesses, sipping on her coffee, as a smile spreads across her face. "But...haven't you already started your day? " a confused Campbell asks. "Now I have! " she replies, licking her lips. "So...you were married? What happened?" he asks, curiously. "I told you, I don't wanna talk about it." she replies, through gritted teeth. "Just curious." he whispers. "Don't be." she pleads. "You call this wooing? Ya'll need to do much more if you love her, mate ,or you can quit pursuing her! " Fergus interrupts, finally catching up with them. "You...love me? " she asks, in disbelief. "Since I first saw you. So, d'you...? " he begins to ask anxiously, only to be interrupted by her. "No! I don't love you an' you can quit wooing me, 'coz I'm not interested!" she yells angrily, taking everyone in the cafeteria by surprise! "I've had it with men swooning over me! I thought this was just a friendly gesture....an' to hear about it from Fergus of all people?! There's no chance of me ever falling for you, Campbell! " she continues to yell, further breaking his heart. "Is it coz...I'm a loony? " he asks, his eyes tearing up. She nods her head & silently folds up the sleeve of her sweatshirt...revealing a scar that stretches from her elbow to her wrist. "This is what a broken beer bottle can do to you." she whispers, her angry eyes filling up with tears. "He was abusive, even when he wasn't drunk! I've been afraid to love, since I divorced Harry! " she confesses, glaring at Campbell for opening up an old wound. She turns away & heads for the door, wiping away her tears, leaving behind a shocked Campbell. She runs into a smiling nurse who hands her an invite. It reads: Campbell's goin' away party. St. Jude's asylum, Sat., nine-thirty p.m. "Guess he didn't tell ya? He's bein discharged, though I don't think his friend Fergus is goin anywhere, based on his behavior after your talk today! Trashing the room like tha..." she begins to explain, before realising that Pearl's already left the building. Later, Georgie drives Pearl to her therapist.
"How'd it go?" Georgie enquires after the session. "Are you free Saturday night? I need to apologize to Campbell." she replies, feeling a bit calmer now.