Months

-Eight Months Later-

Clara sat down with her back against the wall, her eyes focused on the wall infront of her. It had been months since they have taken the woman. Her eyes trailed over the words that were written in blood: STARK TONY STEVE. She didn't know what those names meant or who written them. She didn't know that a month ago, she dug into her skin so she could bleed. When she started to bleed, she wrote those words in her blood. She didn't know she wrote the names so she wouldn't forget them. She didn't know how important those names were.

Hydra, as soon as they got their hands on the younger Stark, had been wiping her memory daily until it was completely gone. Now she didn't know her name, who she was, or what she used to do. All she knew was what Hydra put in her head. According to them, her name was Ice, not Clara Stark. She had no family, because her family was dead. And according to them, she's always worked for Hydra and she was a very loyal agent, she was one of their greatest assassins and she would do anything for them.

Clara didn't remember how she and Steve had made love. She didn't remember how he held her close at night. She didn't remember how when she was with him, she didn't have as many nightmares. She didn't remember that her last words to him was "I love you, Captain and I'll be back before you know it.". She didn't remember that he replied with "I love you, Agent, more than you will ever know. I'll see you in a few days.". She didn't remember how much she loved him and how much he loved her.

What Clara did remember, or what Ice remembers is the endless training that they were putting her through every day. The training was rigorous and had pushed her farther than she's ever been. She remembered them rolling her into an operating room and then strapping her down. She remembers hearing the doctors say words such as "Sterilization" and "Sterile". She remembers them praising her for her first mission with them because she took down the target effortlessly. She remembers going on mission after mission, doing Hydra's dirty work. She remembers all the people she's killed for them. She remembers the voices of the men who came to her room late at night, did horrible things to her, and then left her with pants and underwear around her ankles. But Ice doesn't say anything about the training, the sterilization, the missions, the deaths, or the rapes. She doesn't say anything, because if Hydra tells her to do it, she does it without complaining. Ice was obedient and if they told her to do something, she did it.

Ice stood up and walked over to the wall that had the words on them. She stood up and with a flick of her wrist, she pulled the water out of a nearby glass. Ice moved her hand and the water wiped away the three words on the wall. She watched as the words disappeared one by one, with "STEVE" being the last to go. Ice put the dirty, rusty colored water back in the cup just as the door to her cell opened. She turned her head, her black dyed hair moving as she looked at the man in the doorway.

"You are needed, Ice. They are thawing out the Soldier."

-

Steve opened the door to his apartment and walked inside. He shut and lock the door before walking any further. The Captain leaned his shield against the wall and turned on the lights. He sat down on his couch and his focus was immeadiately on a framed picture of Clara and him that sat on his coffee table. She was smiling at the camera and he was looking at her with a huge smile on his face. Steve smiled sadly at the picture.

It had been eight months since Clara's death. Eight long months. Her funeral was in January and he moved in February to Washington DC. March was full of him taking different missions to get his mind off of Clara and sometimes Nat would join him on those missions. April was the same as the previous month. May brought the one year anniversary of the Chitauri attacks and of Clara and Steve's relationship. Steve didn't go out at all that day. June brought more missions and the heat. July brought Clara's birthday, which Tony, Steve, Pepper, and the rest of the Avengers flew out to New York to celebrate it by visiting her grave and talking about her.

It was August now and in DC, it was hot and humid. Steve had just gotten back from the Triskelion and he was beyond exhausted, but that didn't stop him from picking up the picture of Clara and him to study it closer. Her blue eyes were seemingly staring straight at him, which made him smile again.

"I love you, Captain and I'll be back before you know it." He could hear her say and he pictured her in that moment. Her beautiful eyes were staring into his as she pulled the zipper of her suit.

"I love you, Agent, more than you will ever know. I'll see you in a few days." He heard himself reply to her as he kissed her softly. She grinned against his lips, waved goodbye and slipped out the front door and out of his life. If only he could've made her stay a little while longer and maybe, just maybe she would be next to him instead of being dead in the Pacific Ocean. Maybe if he would have made her stay, she would still be alive. If he had done something, anything, Clara would alive. Steve gripped the picture frame very tightly until he heard a crack. The glass had a crack and ran right over Clara's smiling face.