Chapter 16: Extremists

Start from the beginning

     "Well, fuck that!" Dawood exclaimed in anger, but winced once he remembered he was in the presence of others. "Sorry." Iman smiled and shook her head as if dismissing the profanity, "I felt quite a similar reaction. Unfortunately, I was told that I didn't understand Islam because I wasn't born into it. Some people can't help but show their prejudices." "He can't just deny a soldier his funeral," Dawood said angrily as he looked at Rana. "You know how pissed off I am, right?" "Sister Tehmina asked for you," Iman said simply. "She said you'd find a way for him to have his janazah." Dawood sighed, "This is so fu-screwed up." Iman smiled a little as Dawood covered up the profanity that nearly slipped from his mouth. "What are you going to do?" Ahmed asked as he gnawed on his bottom lip. "I feel like going up to the brother and punching him in his gonads." "First, I need to go pay my condolences to Auntie Tehmy. Then, let's go see this board member," Dawood said in determination.

     Nearly an hour later, Dawood was overwhelmed as Tehmina wrapped her arms around Dawood and whispered, "He's gone, Dawood." "I'm so sorry, Auntie," Dawood whispered back before Tehmina broke down and sobbed against Dawood's chest. "You helped him when Amir passed away. You helped him when he got into bad things and was with bad kids at school. He looked up to you. He joined the army because of you," Tehmina sobbed as she pounded Dawood's chest gently with her weak fists. Dawood gulped as his heart raced. He knew the woman was simply venting, but inside he felt responsible for Farrokh's death. If he hadn't interfered in the kid's life, maybe he wouldn't have joined the army and maybe he wouldn't have passed away by a roadside bomb. "I'm sorry, Dawood," Tehmina sobbed as she wiped her eyes. "I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. He was a medic. He never wanted to hurt anyone." "It's alright, Auntie," Dawood whispered while he wiped away the older woman's tears. "I can't bring him back. I would, Auntie, if I could. That's beyond my powers, but I swear to you, I will give him the respect he deserves as his last rites." "Dawood, that man said he wasn't going to pray for him because he was a kaafir. Farrokh was Muslim, Dawood. He made sure everyone knew it. How can they do this? What will I tell his little brother, Murad? That I could not even bury his brother properly?" Tehmina asked as she looked up at the tall man. "I won't let him do this, Auntie. Trust me. I was there for him then and I'll be there for him now," Dawood nodded and looked at Ahmed. "Let's go to the mosque."

     Ahmed glanced at Dawood while they sat in his car. They had sent Khadijah with Rana and Iman while they visited Tehmina. He knew how precious the time Dawood and Khadijah shared together was to Dawood, but he also knew how Dawood felt about serving the community, especially when he was asked for. "You don't really believe what Auntie said, do you?" Ahmed asked as he headed towards the highway. "What?" Dawood asked as he glanced up from his phone. "That you're the reason this happened. That's not true, man," Ahmed said as he shook his head. Dawood said nothing while he glanced at his phone again. "Tell me you're not blaming yourself," Ahmed demanded angrily. "You didn't kill that kid!" "He could have been anything in the world, Ahmed. Instead he became a soldier and found me on base to tell me. He became a soldier because of me," Dawood sighed. "He followed both of us around. He could have followed in my footsteps and still died at nineteen," Ahmed whispered. "You know that we can't avoid death." "He was a kid, Ahmed," Dawood growled before he slammed his fist on the dashboard. "A kid!" "I know you're angry, but don't you dare blame yourself for his death. That's not on you, man," Ahmed said calmly. "Also, cool it with the profanity." "That's like asking a sailor not to curse," Dawood smirked. "People curse, Ahmed. I'd be a fraud for pretending that I don't curse just because I'm Muslim. I get emotional. I curse. I'm human." "No one's denying that Muslim people don't curse, even though we shouldn't. Still, it's not proper to just let the f-bomb fly out when in company. Auntie taught you better than that."

     Dawood stayed quiet for the rest of the car ride while he reflected on Ahmed's words. He had been home less than two weeks and he was already involved in some sort of community crisis. He let anger get the best of him and used profanity like it was his second language. There was a period of time, after his divorce, when he avoided the mosque and the Muslims of the community. He wanted to avoid any drama that came with associating with the board that ran the mosque. In his life, no matter how much he avoided it, when it came to the mosque he was always involved with its drama. Maybe it was because he wanted to change the backward minds of the elders that, at one point, ran the mosque or maybe it was because he wanted a positive environment to be established at the mosque for future generations of Muslims. Whatever it was, he was always speaking up against the wrongs that were committed in the name of Islam or Muslims. He had avoided everyone in the Muslim community because he concluded that they could figure their own troubles out. He didn't think the Muslim community could ever be improved. He believed that since he couldn't help the whole community, he'd let everyone be. All he was going to do was raise his baby girl right. It wasn't until Khadijah turned two that he realized that he'd have to be active in his community, so that Khadijah could grow up in a place where she was welcome and protected. It was no longer about him or his views; it was now about making a society that was fit for his daughter, his princess.