~Chapter 1 ~ Nikolai Moretti

~ Chapter 1 ~ 

~ Nikolai ~

 I can hear her crying again, I look into to see her sleeping. It is torture for me not to go wrap my arms around her softly whisper her name into her ear to wake her from reliving the hell she has been through in her life. I have watched this same scene play out before me every single night since I found her limp, broken body lying in that dark musty hallway 32 years ago.

That night was the greatest & worst night of my 400-year existence. That night my frozen soul found its reason for existing, I found my heart lying there in the dark crumpled & broken in both body and spirit. I remember it like it was yesterday (not unusual for my kind) as a vampire, my senses are far superior then humans. My mind can recall everything in perfect detail without error. As we age this only grows more powerful. Unlike a human mind that protects itself by forgetting as time passes or blocking it out all together to keep from reliving the pain over and over again. We have our memories for eternity to replay every detail with perfect accuracy over and over and over again. Unfortunately, Sophia is cursed with a mind that works similar to mine. She does not have the blessing of being able to forget, She relives her tortured past every single day. Sleep does not allow her peace; she relives everything more vividly as if it was happening all over again. I have had to watch her go through reliving her pain every single day and night since I found my heart and my life, my reason for being on this earth.

 ~ FLASHBACK ~

  Nikolai my sweet boy please be careful hunting tonight, I have a bad feeling around you, I am unsure of the cause, but I see & feel you in tremendous pain. I grin as I promise my mother I will be very cautious and keep my guard up... to ease her worried mind. I kiss her cheek and smooth the crease in her brow as I turn to leave. Mom's are the same no matter if they are human, Vampire, or other... They always worry for their children's safety and happiness I smile widely and know I am fortunate to have her love and devotion... As I am closing the door, I yell back I will be home before the sun rises mother. She blows me a kiss goodbye trying her best to hide the worry I see in her eyes. I wish she would not worry herself so much. She knows I am one of the strongest vampires in existence; there is not much out there that can bring me harm. I tell her I love her and close the door. There is a bitter chill in the air tonight... Unusual for late August. It must have something to do with what these humans are doing to this planet with the building pollution and cutting down entire forests. They do not even seem to care that they are destroying the only place that is fit to sustain life. Oh well no matter to me it is not my concern if they do not care neither should I... They are my prey and are nothing more then food to me.

Soon I am strolling along my favorite path... it is my favorite because It is where I get the sweetest tasting blood... it is private and it gives me the opportunity to play with my food a little bit. If my mother only knew. She would not be happy with me for taunting these little humans. It does not take long before I catch a wave of the sweet scent I have been burning for I push my senses out to pin point where that mouth-watering scent is coming from, as I do I can hear she is not alone. She is laughing with another ... a Young man is with her and they are laughing about robbing a mom's house from the neighborhood. They are discussing her daughter that is a tiny little thing afraid of her own shadow. She is a little pussy that everyone uses as a punching bag out of fun. They lure her out of hiding pretending to be her friend and get her alone away from the house and a whole lot of them take turns beating her to a bloody pulp... the whole while laughing at her as she screams and cries out in pain. She would never lift her hands to fight back... What good would it do? They would beat her harder and longer. All of them would attack at the same time, hold her arms as the others took turns using her as a punching, or kick boxing bag. When she gets home, she is beaten for not being home where she is supposed to be. Her mother too busy to notice the blood, cuts and bruises all over her... She probably thought they were from her beatings. They are laughing as they say her mother probably wants her dead anyway... You can tell she hates her... Just the way she looks at her and what she does to her makes it more then clear how she feels. She is probably hoping she does not come home one of these times and they find her body some place in the woods. I am now right above them; it is going to be my pleasure feeding from these two. From what I have heard them laughing and joking about they deserve a slow painful death. Let us see if they find their own torment and suffering as amusing and entertaining as this other girl's seems to be.