Chapter Twenty-Three: Return of Romans

Spartacus moved toward his wife and advisor. Pia's eyes focused on the advisor. He wished to have words with her, but she let them fly easily, "Where are they?"

"Upon hill, five first sight. They wish to come inside the villa. One was sent ahead. They wish to speak to you."

"Let them in," she said.

"Pia," Spartacus snapped, and her gaze turned to him.

"Romans will know nothing of what we hide if we play right. We give them direct path to me. We break words. You are out of sight and out of mind. No one will know difference."

"There are rumors--"

"Yes, of your return after your death." She shook her head. "Bring Romans to villa. I shall have words." Cloth filled Pia's fingertips as she walked into the villa. Spartacus followed. "Husband, I will not speak of this any longer."

"We shall," he disagreed. Spartacus stopped her in the hallway by stepping in her path. Agron, bloodied, Nasir and Gannicus followed. "There is more to be said."

Pia shook her head. "If any of you are seen, we all are dead."

Agron spat blood. "There are sayings--"

"Rumors," she corrected. "All of it are rumors and will continue to stay rumors. Stay out of sight and out of mind. Speak nothing. Everyone else will speak none as well." Pia walked and beckoned them after her. She entered a dining chamber and then pulled back a cloak. A hallway turned off. "Go inside and hide. You will be able to hear. If something happens, you will be notified."

Spartacus stepped forward. He didn't accept this. "This means death to you."

Laughing, she held the cloak aside. Gannicus was first to enter and Nasir followed. Spartacus followed and then Agron. The cloak covered their entrance.

A dress was brought to Pia and she changed quickly. The dress was made of soft cloth that lined her body, as if to show off her curves. Her skin was mostly covered, except for her large breasts. Her scars were completely covered. Food and wine was brought out and covered the table. Pia was brought her weapons, and she placed them on her body and under the table. She was prepared.

When Romans came in, five in total, a commander stepped in Pia's path. She sipped on wine and dripped her fingers into food; she looked more annoyed than anything else. Romans ordered her to stand and she did not.

"You wish to be within my city's walls, speak or have tongue and body removed," she ordered. A goblet of wine was brought to lips but her eyes stayed upon the men.

Commander stepped forward, with a hint of a smile within his eyes. "Pia," he laughed, "a long time since last seen. You look well."

"You yet live."

Commander laughed again, too pleased with the situation. Pia gave a smirk. "May I?" He motioned to the table.

"If you must." Her bored expression only caused Romans in the rear to freeze, as if they knew her tricks. If Commander and Pia had met before, he must have been well aware of her attentions, of her skills. Romans gripped their swords roughly.

Commander sat near Pia. "You are a beauty."

"You honor, Commander, when I am but cunt."

"No proper lady shall speak in such tone."

"I am not proper lady, and you must hold memories."

"At one time many thought you to be proper lady."

"I was slave and one that killed for master. I now hold tongue to my name. My words are my own." She put the goblet to the table and leaned forward to Commander. Romans behind her edged forward, ready to draw weapons, but Commander waved them off. "You yet visit me again. Why?"

"I have questions."

"Let them be answered." She slapped the knee of Commander playfully and leaned back, exposing her breasts. Commander had hard time pulling gaze away. "Eat. Drink."

"You mean to cloud judgement?"

"If I meant to cloud judgement, you already would be under me." Her pointer finger ran around the rim of her goblet. "And your men would be dead." Her eyes came up dangerous, too dangerously and Spartacus gripped his sword, as if to fight. Pia had this under control. "Break words or I break your first man to come forth."

"You have always been most truthful." Commander sipped his wine. "I wished to speak to City Master. Where is he?"

"Dead." She sat still for once. "Speak," she commanded in a growl.

Commander was left with no choice. "Spartacus is rumored to be alive?"

"This is my problem?"

"Is he within walls of city?"

"No, because he is dead."

"You are certain?"

"Are you not the ones who killed him?" she asked. "Is Crassus not the one to send Spartacus to death? Do Romans yet hold slave alive? Did Romans not murder the man?"

Commander grew still. "I hold fondness to you, Pia, but refrain from murder. He was put down like the dog he was."

"Yet you show up at my gates, to speak he is alive? Why would he come here?"

"Rumors have risen--"

"Rumors rise and fall, like a man's chest after a fucking." Pia rolled her eyes. "If you claim the slave dead, let him be dead. Do not waste my time. Do not waste Rome's resources."

Commander smiled. "I know you yet held love for Rome." Pia arched an eyebrow. "Roman blood flows through veins. You father was a good man."

"My father raped a slave and claimed me to be his after I won in the arena."

Commander smiled. "Like a true Roman." He drank all of his wine in one gulp. "There is other names I wish to speak."

"Do so and see me never again."

"Agron, Nasir--"

"Are these names meant to mean something to me?" she asked. "Shall I scream for joy or cry for sorrow?"

"They were part of Spartacus' group."

"A bunch of slaves put together, and you let them slip through grasp. How does Rome feel of such foolishness?"

"Crassus is dealt with," Commander spoke. "Gannicus, you know."

Pia paused. "I fought man a few times, beat him, because he was never meant to play in Rome's territory."

"Fucked him once for show."

"A slave is always slave."

Commander smiled. "You know nothing."

"As I always have. I am woman with small mind and the need to bear children for Rome."

"Do not give anger, Pia. You father would hold much disappointment." Commander stood. "I see my mistake to come here, and we shall leave."

"Good." Pia stood. Her dress swirled down around her. "You shall be escorted out."

"Is this not Free City?"

"We are not under Rome's grasp."

Commander stepped forward and put hand to Pia's ear. His knuckles dragged across her face slightly, taking in her angles. He stepped forward hesitantly, and Pia made no movement. His lips planted on her. She stood there as he breathed on her skin. He smelt her womanly scent, and it had changed only slightly since the last time he saw her. She was yet a fighter. She was yet Roman.

Commander pulled back from the kiss. "Until next time...." He took leave and his soldiers followed.

After a moment, Spartacus and his men came out from behind the cloak. Pia's eyes stayed focused on Romans as she watched them leave gates. Her arms curled around her body in protection. Spartacus stepped forward; Pia swallowed. In husband manner of gentle touch, he placed hand on arm, yet Pia pulled away.

"I told you," she said, "I would handle this." Pia took leave.

Spartacus was yet unmoved that she handled it.