Chapter 21

"What are your plans for tonight Riley?" My dad asks, looking up over his newspaper.

  It's Saturday morning, the day I'm hanging out with James. I have kept quiet about my plans all week. Not that I currently have any friends to tell them to. The girls are still avoiding me.

  Emily looks up from her breakfast, eyes on me, waiting for my answer.

  "Actually, me and a friend are hanging out tonight." I reply to my dad happily.

  "Oh? Chloe? Michelle?" He questions.

  "Um, no. James." I respond.

"Not surprised." I hear Emily mutter bitterly, letting out an annoyed sigh.

"Isn't he the boy you invited to the BBQ but never showed up?" Dad asks.

"Yeah. He couldn't come because of a family emergency." I explain.

"Rumour is, you two are hooking up." Emily says slyly. My dad shoots me a questioning and somewhat disapproving look.

  "Hooking up?" He echoes.

  "No, we're just hanging out as friends. That's all." I explain.

  "I hope that's all." Dad sighs, walking out of the room.

  "Yeah, me too." Emily adds in, but she doesn't move.

  "Well what are you going to do when we actually become a couple, huh?" I retort angrily at her. She begins laughing, making me raise an eyebrow at her.

  "What's so funny?" I question.

  "You and James? Seriously? You actually think that you two will become a couple?" She laughs.

  "Yeah and what makes you think that we won't?" I snap.

  "Riley, I hate to break it to you, but James doesn't go for girls like you." She says sympathetically.

  "And what's that supposed to mean?" I inquire, growing angry.

  "James goes for girls who are tall, tanned, exciting and experienced. And no offence sis, you're short, pale, dull and far from experienced." She chuckles.

  "Then how come he's paying so much attention to me, huh?" I reply smugly.

  "Riley it's like an animal with its food. You're the food and James is just playing with it. He likes to see girls swoon over him and fall for him. He doesn't actually care. He just-"

  "Stop it! You don't know James like I do and I know that he likes me." I exclaim, coming to James's defence. James doesn't deserve to be treated like this, especially when he isn't even here to defend himself.

"Really then? So if he likes you so much, then how come he hasn't asked you out yet?" Emily questions, crossing her arms. She smirks at me, obviously thinking she got me cornered now.

"Well, he probably doesn't think that I like him back like that, so he's just waiting to see if I do. Or he's waiting for the right time to ask me out." I explain to her. She rolls her eyes.

"Okay, whatever Riley. Have fun with all...That." She sighs. She grabs her phone and exits the room.

Once she's gone, I roll my eyes and let out a sigh. It's hard to believe that Emily, the girl who claims she's so on top of everything and knows it all, is so blind to see how much James likes me.