Chapter 14

I was sitting alone in the gazebo, letting the cold wind hit me. It was dark now, but everyone was still here, laughing and joking. Enjoying themselves.

I was still upset that James totally ditched me. I had texted him dozens of times, but he still wouldn't text me back. Even though I knew for a fact that he read the texts.

"James still hasn't shown up?" Emily questions, stepping into the gazebo. I shake my head sadly. She sits on the bench next to me.

"Did he say why?" She asks. I shake my head again.

"I texted him, and he read the texts, but he never texted me back." I sigh sadly.

"Ask him tomorrow at dance." She replies, getting back up and walking out.

~~~~~

I rejected Emily's offer to drive me to dance this morning and walked instead to try and clear my mind. That didn't work. It just made me think of James more.

I was the last to show up so everyone was already in their little group. James was standing with the guys. I stared at him longingly until he turned his head and seen. But I didn't look away until he finally got the hint and walked over.

"Hey, what's up?" He asks. I took a breath, looking at the ground, thinking of why to say.

"What happened to you yesterday?" I finally ask, looking up.

"What do you mean?"

"I ask you to come over for supper, you said yes. Then, I'm left waiting like some idiot because you stood me up!" I exclaim.

"Yeah, sorry about that." He replies casually.

"I texted you again and again, you read it, but God forbid you text back!" I snap.

"I had, um, a family emergency. I'm sorry I never showed up or texted back, okay? I'm sorry." He explains.

"Oh. I'm sorry I got mad." I reply, beginning to feel bad that I freaked out.

"Don't worry about it. Maybe another time, alright?" He offers.

"Yeah, sure." I reply.

"I'll talk to you later." He replies, giving me a wink before running back to the guys.