Chapter 20

The next day, I'm practically shunned by the girls. Emily must have told them that I like James. And they disapprove.

After some long debating and working up the courage, I walk up behind James and shyly tap him on the shoulder.

"Oh, hey Ri." He says, facing me.

"Hi. So, I was, um, wondering if you maybe wanted to head downstairs and grab a drink or something before everyone heads home." I ask shyly.

  "Yeah sure. Just let me tell the guys and we'll all head down." He replies, turning around. I quickly grab his arm.

  "No, wait! I meant just the two of us to go down. Together." I explain.

  "Oh. Okay, yeah that's fine." He mutters. He doesn't sound as enthusiastic as he was before, but I just want it to be the two of us together.

~~~~~

  I smile shyly at James while sitting across from him. But he doesn't seem as happy to be here.

"Are you still mad at me?" I blurt out. I expect him to look up and tell me off, saying yes, that he is still mad at me. But he doesn't. He just smiles softly.

"No, I'm not mad at you." He starts out. "But why didn't you want the guys to come down with us? It's only the guys."

"I know, and I usually wouldn't mind but I just wanted us to come down alone for once. Nobody else." I explain shyly.

"Alone hey? Why did you want us to be alone?" He smirks. I look down in my lap, feeling my face beginning to heat up.

"I just like hanging out with you alone." I admit sheepishly.

  "I like hanging out with you too." He beams.

"So, um, what are you doing this weekend?" I ask, attempting at making conversation.

  "Probably hanging out with the guys." He replies.

  "Yeah, I'll probably be alone all weekend." I sigh.

  "What about the girls?" He questions.

  "I think they're mad at me. They've been avoiding and ignoring me all day." I explain.

  "What'd you do?"

"I don't know." I lie. I know what I did, but it's not my fault. I like James. I can't help it.

  "Are you staying at your dad's this weekend?" James asks.

  "Yeah, unfortunately. I go there Friday and have to stay till next Friday." I explain.

"Sounds boring."

"Yeah, and lonely."

"Well if you want, we can hang out Saturday night." He offers.

"Really? You don't have plans with the boys?" I question.

"Yeah, but I'd rather hang out with you." He replies.

"Yeah, yeah, we can hang out." I reply, trying not to squeal. All my friends may be mad about it, but I'm overjoyed. I have a date with James Saturday night and they can't do anything about it.