Chapter 11

I was sitting with the A Troupe girls in Squeezed the next day before dance started, when I suddenly feel a pair of hands on my shoulders. I let out a shriek, which is joined by laughter. I whip my head around in anger, but soften when I see James smirking at me as he walks to the counter. I smile back and give a small wave.

"Ooh, what was that Riley, huh?" Stephanie questions.

"What? Nothing." I reply nervously.

"Doesn't seem like nothing. If I knew better, I would say that you have a crush." She teases.

"No she doesn't. It was just the other night that she said that she hated him. Right Ri?" Emily cuts in.

"Well, I don't hate him." I say defensively.

"Oh, so you like him now do you?" She questions.

"I never said said. Let's just say that I can stand him." I reply.

"Oh, I see." She replies with a blank expression. I couldn't tell if she was happy for me, or was angry.

~~~~~

I stood next to James while we waited in Studio B for Kate to come tell us to present our duet.

"Do you think we will do good with the duet?" I ask him, trying to create conversation.

"Of course we will." He replies confidently.

"I'm afraid I'm going to screw up." I admit.

"You're amazing. You'll be cute even if you do mess up." He tells me with that cute dimpled smile.

"You really think that?" I ask.

"Of course I do. You're an amazing dancer and you're beautiful." He tells me, still wearing his prize smile. I blushed, but I didn't turn away. I was too stunned to turn away.

"Ah, I made you blush, huh?" He asks, his kind smile turning into a proud smirk. I look away in embarrassment.

"Nobody calls me beautiful or anything like that." I mumble.

"That surprises me." He says.

"Well, I never had a boyfriend before." I confess.

"Really? You never had a boyfriend before?" He asks.

"Yes, okay! I never had a boyfriend, I've never been kissed, okay?!" I grumble.

"Alright, alright. There's nothing to be ashamed about." He says, slinging his arm around my shoulders.

"I guess I'm just waiting for a special guy to come along." I explain.

"Well, are you crushing on anyone?" He asks.

"Well, I got an eye on this one guy." I confess.

"Oh really? And who might that be?" He questions.

"Well, he-"

"Kate wants you two in Studio A." Stephanie says, completely ruining our moment.

"Alright, we'll be right back." James says, standing up. He looks back at me, another smile on his face. He extends his hand to me, and I reluctantly take it. His hand was soft, warm, and just his touch sent volts of electricity through my body.

Even after I stood up though, he still never let go of my hand as we walked to Studio A together, hands interlocked.