Chapter 7

RECAP OF LAST CHAPTER:

I would prefer to ride in the same SUV as Yuri since he is probably the friendliest to me out of everyone here (my mate included), but I did not have the energy to fight against my mate at the moment.

Getting into the vehicle with Alexei right behind me, I could feel his eyes on my butt as I climbed into the left captain's chair. Alexei slid in behind me gracefully and sat in the right captain's chair. I looked towards the front to see that Sergei was driving this vehicle with Dimitri in the passenger seat. Behind me, Ivan, Micah, and Mixiam sat all squashed together in the back. Mixiam was sleeping already and Micah sat looking out the window longingly. Ivan just sat uncomfortably in the middle.

'This is going to be a long ride,' I thought to myself without even knowing where we were going to end up.

CHAPTER 7:

Luckily, I was asleep most of the drive. The moments I was awake though were very awkward as the tension between Alexei and I was very apparent and everyone in the car was trying very hard hard not to make Alexei mad.

I was awake now again. Looking out of the black SUV's window, I saw heaps of snow stretched across the landscape. The vast, evergreen trees went on for miles and miles from the interstate and snow covered all of them to the brim. There were mountains going up and down the range, which made me nervous about Sergei's driving. It did not help that snow had begun to fall lightly from the sky. I really just wanted to be out of this car already.

When I turned my head away from looking out the window, I caught Alexei watching me intensely. I immediately grew uncomfortable and crossed my arms over my chest out of discomfort. I noticed this was something I did a lot around Alexei.

"Don't you want to know where we are going?" Alexei questioned as his emerald green eyes surveyed over my own.

Shrugging my shoulders, I begrudgingly answered back, "Not like I had much choice."

I knew Alexei was not going to appreciate my response, but he really did not enjoy my response one bit as he sat back in his cushioned seat and sighed.

"We needed to go," He responded simply as his eyes were closed. I could feel him pushing me away and building his walls even higher towards me.

I felt tears brim my eyes as I thought about my family and friends searching for me today and wondering where I went. They were all going to be so worried about me and it was not fair that I could not tell them what was going on. Nora would probably be able to make the connection that it had something to do with my mate, but who knows if she would remember everything I told her after all she drank last night? I was trying to reassure myself that everything was going to be fine, but I was having a tough time believing so. I wish I had grabbed my cell phone at the least.

"I needed to say goodbye to my family and friends," I responded back to Alexei, shooting daggers at him with my eyes as I fought back the tears.

'The confidence of Nora, the confidence of Nora, the confidence of Nor-' I chanted in my head as I confronted Alexei even further after getting no response.

"I deserved to say goodbye to my family and friends," I said matter-of-factly as I uncrossed my arms from my chest and spoke directly to Alexei.

I did not miss the twitch he gave when I said the word deserved. I have to give him credit though because damn, he was fast at masking his emotions.

With ease, Alexei cleared his throat and said, "I was not the one who got you drunk when you could have been saying goodbye to your loved ones."

Appalled at his easiness in confrontation since I am the complete opposite, I let out an exasperated breath as I frantically started to talk.