Chapter Three - Fill In Chapter, Sorry!

I'd sit in the library almost every time lunch period came around. But I was friends with some junior girls, so I always had a place to sit in the cafeteria. Cindy was friends with the kinds of girls Lauren and I always made fun of and she forgot about me after a week. Despite the fact I had some friends, I found myself alone a lot. Lauren had met a navy guy at the market the day after we had moved in, so she was out late many times. And I'd started to gain weight again. A lot of weight. Yesterday, I looked in the mirror, seeing my figure. I was way too chubby for society standards.

That night, I researched the best gyms in Palo Alto and found one called Leeroy's Fitness.

"Hey, mom?" I knocked on her office door.

"Yes, sweetie?" She asked without looking up.

"Can I join a gym?"

She looked up. "Honey, you don't need to. You look fine."

"Mom, I'm gaining weight. Please?"

"Then ride your bike more often."

"But Mom, just biking doesn't help. Please?"

"Lara, you know we can't afford much right now."

"I know, Mom." I stared at her, giving her a pleading look. I had mastered it at ten years old: just stare and make your eyes a little bit watery. I always hated doing this, I had always felt so spoiled. Eventually, she gave in and sighed.

"Go and find a cheap gym---"

I walked to her side and gave her results of my research. "Leeroy's is the third best in Palo Alto, but the best value. A family membership is forty a month, but a student is eighteen a month."

Mom looked at me, scratched her head, and sighed. "Mom, I promise it'll be worth it," I assured her.

"Fine. But I'm only paying for one month first, got it?"

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, Mom," I exclaimed.