Playing with Fire- Chapter Eight

Start from the beginning

Finally his club was thrown away from the fight, along with one of my swords. I used his moment of confusion to check on Hayden, seeing him locked in combat with Hardy and matching his every move.

Suddenly I was on my back, sword being ripped away from my slackened grip. My sore wrist flared up at the jarring motion and I had to bite my lip to keep from crying out.

Clave had me pinned to the ground, using his bulk to keep me down. Every attempt he made and hitting me was blocked by my arms, but I knew it couldn't be long until he figured out to keep my hands down as well. I did the only thing I could think of: kneeing him in the groin and flipping him off of me. He gasped when his back hit hard stone, and before he even made a move to get up I was standing over him with a sword pointed at his throat.

"Don't move," I growled, seeing his attempts at squirming away from the sword. He stiffened, nonetheless shouting obscenities at me.

A grunt sounded from behind me; I spun to see Hayden clutching his gut. Hardy moved in to hit him on the head, a movement Hayden didn't see because he was doubled over in pain.

"Hayd- oof!" Clave had pulled me down by the ankle. He used my surprise to get his large hands around my thin throat, grubby fingers pressed into my neck and cutting off my supply of air. I gasped, clawing first at his hands and then for the sword I'd dropped.

"Now you're mine," he drawled, partially out of breath. His deformed face was starting to blend into a muddle of grey and brown. My hands pawed uselessly at his fist around my throat, my movements slowing as a comforting darkness began to settle over me.

No, little one! You must not let go! I cannot let you die! Well, that was a beautiful voice. Although the obvious panic was making me a little uneasy. Why not welcome the blackness? It would end the impossible pain in my head and neck. You will not go this way! Come back right now Reiara, or so help me I will kill myself to be with you! No, wait, that wasn't right. I didn't want the person with the magical voice to die.

With all of my remaining strength and another unknown force, I drew my fist back and then slammed it into something hard. The tightness around my neck loosened, and I instinctively gulped in the sweet air.

My mind was still a confused mess, though with each deep breath everything became a little clearer. Someone was gripping my hands so hard it hurt, and there was a low voice in my ear. Unlike the silvery voice, which I could also hear faintly, the deep tone wasn't inside my head.

Finally I could understand what the two voices were saying. Both were repeating my name over and over, worry clear in their murmur. I took a few more deep breaths before opening my eyes, finding myself face to face with my best friend. He smiled a watery smile, loosening his grip on my hands but not letting go of them completely.

"Hey," he whispered, pulling me up into a sitting position and letting me lean into his shoulder.

"Hey," I rasped. The voice that came from my throat was unrecognizable; still slightly high-pitched but rough and quiet.

"How about you don't talk right now," Hayden advised. He pulled something from the vests of both unconscious men before pulling me to my feet, steadying me with an arm around my shoulders. I decided to ask him about the knocked-out muggers later.

That's a good idea, little one. You should not be speaking for another two hours, at least.

*     *     *     *     *

It turned out the items Hayden had taken from the men were a few coins, which he used to purchase a map of the city and a room for us in a dingy hotel. He settled me down on the thin mattress before locking the door and unraveling his leggings.

"Are you feeling all right?" he asked me, sitting next to me. I shook my head.

"I'll be fine, Hayden. Don't worry." Hayden shook his head.

"Why can't you just shut up?" he complained, giving me a sarcastic smile.

"Do you even know me at all?" I croaked, elbowing my way up into a sitting position. Hayden chuckled.

"Yeah, I know how incredibly stubborn and dumb you are. Why can't you just follow some good advice?"

I didn't answer, just pulled the thin sheets over my tired body. Hayden did the same, curling up on the floor right next to the mattress with the spare set of linens from the closet. He had insisted in a fit of unexpected chivalry that I take the bed.

I snuggled into the lumpy mattress, feeling the exhaustion sweep through me like a warm wind. My hand was squeezed once by Hayden, and then I just couldn't keep my brain awake any longer. Somewhere, deep in the back of my mind, was a soft humming that came from Yín sè. It was that humming that calmed my last panicky thought, and it allowed the intoxicating sensation of sleep spread throughout my entire body.

_________________________________________________________________

Taa-daa!! Finally, I have completed it! I really enjoyed writing this chapter, I love doing action scenes! Tell me what you thought in that comment box below, just don't be rude. Be helpful.

Thanks for sticking to it this far, I know my uploads aren't too frequent or regular. Really, it makes me very happy whenever I see that I have another vote, comment or read. Lame, I know. C'mon. We all do it.