chapter 18: End

Why am I here?

I've been trying to figure that out since I got here, but I'm not having any luck. All I know is that this is where my feet brought me when I went for a walk this morning. I don't understand it. It's not like I felt the need to come here because of what happened, or because I miss him. I don't miss him and, to be honest, the only thing I feel when I think about what happened here is an overall indifference, with just a hint of regret.

Regret that it happened in the first place, not because it won't happen again or whatever.

I glance around the clearing. It's a nice, sunny and warm day, and it makes this place look beautiful. It's quiet and peaceful, too. A really good place to think.

And maybe that's the reason I subconsciously came here. To think.

Unfortunately, though, all I have to think about is William. I'm not pining, nor am I going to think about him in good terms, because that's pretty much near impossible now. And I'm not doing it because I want to. It's just going to happen because, well...because he's William.

After I told him off on Monday, he acted cowed for maybe a week. He didn't walk around with the usual skip in his step, didn't wear that ostentatious clothing, and didn't look down his nose at anyone. Instead, he brooded and shot me incredulous and irritated glances. But like I said, that only lasted a week. Now, he's back to acting like he did before, as pretentious and attention seeking as ever, and has seemed to have decided to ignore my existence all together.

That last part would be fine, because what I said to him still holds true, I honestly don't care if I never talk to him again. It's just...it pisses me off that I what I said to him had absolutely no long-term effect on him. And to make matters ever worse, he has a posse now.

Wait, no. It's not a posse. It's more like a bunch of disillusioned people following him around like a herd of mindless sheep, attracted by his pretty clothes, his pretty words, and his pretty face.

Oh. And he's already found someone else to manipulate and use, someone from his little group of worshippers. I wonder if I should warn her about him, but I don't think I will. Let her find out and figure out what to do about him herself.

Besides, something tells me she wouldn't listen to me even if I did warn her.

A shadow suddenly falls over me. I turn towards the person, but the sun's brightness makes it's it difficult to see who it is. I squint up at the person, and for a second I fear that it's William. But in the next instant, whoever it is plops himself down next to me in the grass, and I see that it's definitely not William. I don't know who it is, though his face does look kind of familiar.

He looks at me with a neutral expression. I stare strangely back at him.

"Hi."

"Hi."

I continue to stare at him, trying to remember where I've seen him before. But after about a minute, I'm still clueless and confused, so I give up and ask,

"Who are you?"

The boy gives me a slight, lopsided smile and then shakes his messy black hair out of his eyes.

"Louis."

"Oh."

It takes about a second more to click, then my eyes widen as I remember.

"Yeah." He said nodding.

Obviously he was trying not to laugh.

I blink at him a few times, kind of bewildered, and then look him over.