chapter 6: Lunch with William part.2

We ended up sitting cross-legged in a windowsill to eat our lunch. Neither of us had said much since leaving the library, but that's quite all right with me. The silence isn't awkward at all, and I really don't know what to talk about anyway, so yeah... Not talking is fine. Hell, we could be doing something completely lame right now and I don't think I'd mind at all as long as it was William I was with.

So, anyway. He's watching everyone in the courtyard below us while I watch him munch on baby carrots. I kind of gave up on eating, not only because I'm too busy drooling over him to chew my food and concentrate on not choking, but also because of the appalled look he gave me when I took out my turkey sandwich. As it turns out, William's a vegetarian. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about that. A part of me wonders how the hell he can go without eating meat, but the other part of me, the part that is already half in love with him, is telling me to give it up too, because eating slaughtered animals is cruel. Very, very cruel.

Or maybe it's because I really don't want William to give me that look ever again.

I think I'm going to be going without meat for a while.

How pathetic am I?

"Michael. What does that make you think of? "He asked suddenly, without turning away from the window.

I look out the window. Basically everyone who has lunch now is out there, eating or fooling around. It's beautiful out, but I don't really mind not being out there. I like it here better. Being with William is better than being outside, or anywhere else really.

But I'm not supposed to be thinking about that, I'm supposed to be thinking about what everyone down there makes me think of. Well, to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really make me think of anything. It's a whole bunch of kids during their lunch break. All of them still divided into their groups and cliques. Maybe kind of like animals separated in a zoo?

I tell William that, and he smiles a little, still not looking away from everybody below us.

"I can see that. But it makes me think of a circus more."

My eyebrows come together in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's not just that down there. It's high school in general, really."

William elaborates. Then he starts pointing at specific groups of kids in the courtyard.

"You've got your freaks, the emo and Goth kids; your acrobats, the cheerleaders; the trained animals, the jocks; and your ringmasters, or, the popular kids that everyone looks up to and wants to be."

He finally looks away from the window, over at me. There's a mischievous and amused look in his blue eyes.

"But then you have your clowns. Personally, I like them the best since they purposely run around and look foolish. All the rest don't realize that they look ridiculous, too. The clown does, though. And he likes it that way. Yet, nobody ever seems to remember the clown. When they leave a circus, they're always talking about the tightrope walker and the lion tamer."

William turns his face back towards the window.

"They have dreams of wanting to be like those people, but rarely does anyone have dreams about wanting to be a clown, the one who probably made you laugh the most and feel the best about yourself."

He sighs, and I watch him scan the crowd.

"There are only a few people here who are clowns. Pity..."

I stare at him in complete awe, because really, what else am I supposed to do after hearing that? Seriously. Where, how the hell did he come up with it? That was unbelievably insightful. I'd never be able to come up with something like that. Holy crap. This boy just keeps getting more and more amazing.