Chapter 1: The Move

Start from the beginning

I sighed as I watched the road flash by. The fact that we were moving was bad, but it got worse. We were moving to a small town called Alamery in the state of West Virginia.

'Small town'. I knew what that meant all right. We were going to live in one of those close-knit towns where everybody knew each other and where secrets spilled onto the streets. Oh, how nice.

We had been driving for around seven hours and I knew that we had to be arriving soon. I hated long drives. They made me sick and tired, and I knew I'd have to put on a smile when we arrived. Mom would probably insist. She hated seeing me in a sour mood.

She had found a job there at a local hospital, and according to her it was the reason why we were moving. She wanted to try something new and her boss knew she loved the countryside. I hated it. Well, he didn't know that, but still, it was only to try, so I hoped we would go back to New York. I didn't get my hopes up - I knew what my mom was like, and if she liked it, we were going to stay. I just didn't understand why we were going to live in a town which probably contained around a hundred citizens. It was just so dull and boring. I was used to my exciting city life, and this boring town life which Mom dreamed about did nothing for me.

I had turned seventeen a month ago, on the fourth of August. My birthday was always in the holidays and I was starting a new semester at Alamery High School. Great.

I just couldn't stand the way they acted in small towns. Like, everybody knew one another's shit. I wouldn't be surprised if one of our new neighbours ended up checking out our garbage.

The sound of the car door opening made me blink and I turned to look at my mom who was getting out of the car. "We're here," she stated, throwing me a weird look when she saw my scowl.

I shrugged, unbuckling my seatbelt and knowing I couldn't avoid it. Besides, the car wasn't a great place to live. After I saw Mom give me a pointed look, I plastered a fake smile on my face, pretending that I was insanely happy. Though, when her frown deepened, I knew that I was definitely bad actress.

I opened the car door and got out. Unknowingly my eyes gazed at our neighbour's house, checking if they were already staring at the 'newcomers' from the windows. They weren't, which made me sigh in relief; I hated spies. I glanced at Mom to see her talking to a guy who was standing in front of our house. He looked fairly young - about thirty years old, with dirty blond hair and brown, friendly eyes. I sighed. My mom swooned for guys with blond hair.

Personally, I liked guys with dark hair and dark eyes. They just looked so... mysterious. Like, you could stare into their eyes and forget about the world around you, and you could get lost in them. I shook my head at myself. I wasn't going to look for a boyfriend, I was going to try and persuade my mom to get us out of there - or try to, at least.

Opening the trunk of our red Audi, I grabbed my black suitcase and left Mom to grab hers, or maybe the surf dude would, who was now obviously flirting with my mom. I groaned as I saw the way she smiled at him and talked animatedly about how the drive had been.

Well, the drive had been awful for me and probably for her as well, being stuck with her sulking daughter, but she kept a smile on her face in spite of everything.

"You need help with that?" a masculine voice spoke, making me look up at the guy in front of me, all smiley and friendly. He looked like an average American teenage boy with blond hair and brown eyes, a wide smile on his face - oh wait, his hair had a blue lock. That was pretty cool. I guessed he was a football player from his muscles and the fact that he was wearing an 'Alamery Eagles' football t-shirt. Typical.

"No thank you." I gave him a small smile in return and turned my back, rolling my eyes and walking up to the house.

"Hey, wait! I didn't catch your name," he called out, and I heard his footsteps. I sighed but didn't turn around.