Trouble in paradise

no one's pov

As if Camila weren't freaking out enough on the patio, the appearance of a helicopter above, nearly sent her over the edge.

"It's a monster!" Camila shrieked, as she pointed to the helicopter as it zipped by.

Lauren immediately took Camila's hand and assured her it was not monster but a flying machine. Seeing that she'd had enough, Lauren then rolled Camila back to her room, all the while trying to explain the various forms of modern transportation. Camila only half listened, however as she was still quite rattled.

After Camila was eased into bed, she quickly fell asleep, having been worn out by her little trip to the patio.

Lauren at that point lowered her head and slumped into a chair. Lauren was most certainly getting the feeling, that things were not going as well as she hoped. "Fuck."

Camila slept for a while, waking just before lunch. Lunch was fine, save for the fact that Lauren was forced to explain what Jello was. Lauren hated Jello more than any other food in existence, her mom made it all the time for dinner when she was growing up. That wobbling food substance constantly reminded of her of tense, quiet and uneasy dinners at the Jauregui household. It's never easy growing up in a house where your parents hate each other.

"So as I explained, it's called Jello. It comes in many flavours and can be used in different ways, in salads, as a dish by itself and many say it's fun." Lauren explained, in a rather matter of fact tone of voice.

"Oh..." Camila said as she put some on her plastic fork and watched it the red colored substance wobble. Camila then shoveled it in her mouth.

"I like this Jello. Do you like Jello?"

Jade shuddered and glared at the rather innocuous looking half eaten square of Jello on Camila's tray. "No I hate it, its evil."

"So I shouldn't eat it then?" Camila said puzzled.

"No eat it if you like it, just keep it out of my sight. I can't stand to eat or even look at Jello."

Camila quickly finished off the Jello and continued with her lunch. Camila had calmed down slightly since this morning, but still felt very uneasy and scared about what she had seen. Strange looking buildings and flying machines, she understood none of it.

Just after lunch, Mary arrived to see how Camila was doing. Lauren had previously explained to Camila, who Mary was and how she had helped Camila. Camila greeted the elderly woman with utmost courtesy and thanked Mary for her generosity.

Once Mary expressed a desire to hear more about the Victorian age and what it was like, Camila seemed to perk up a bit.

Lauren at this point excused herself to take a break and get something to eat. Though things weren't going so well, Lauren hoped once they got home things would go better.

Camila and Mary spoke for more than an hour and Mary very much enjoyed the 1st hand descriptions of live in the Victorian era. Camila enjoyed speaking of her time and what it was like. Mary just before she left, thanked Camila for the wonderful talk and invited her to come over sometime and have dinner sometime after she got settled.

For the next three days Lauren did her best to acclimate Camila to the modern world. The next day Lauren went to the library and got some children's pictures books. She figured children's books would be the best way for Camila to learn. One book was of various types of houses and buildings. Another book was about all types of transportation and a third was just a pictorial book of various places in the world.

Camila would look through the books and Lauren would explain what everything was. Camila politely noted each thing and did her best to keep it all straight. But with so many new facts, pictures and stories of the modern world, Camila felt even more disconnected and isolated. Camila however kept those feelings to herself as she could see Lauren was trying hard. Though at times, Camila felt as if Lauren was trying too hard.