10.

"Who is it?" Hunter asks before I could. There was obvious concern in his voice.

"Just...don't worry about it." She forces a smile. "So, are you guys hungry?"

"Mom, tell us." I say ignoring her question.

"It's fine. Just some prank call." She tries so hard to steady her voice so that she comes out as non-sealant.

"Mom, I don't care. Tell me now. Even if it was a prank call, I would want to know what it was about." I was extremely curious now. Whatever that call had contained was obviously disturbing in her opinion if she didn't even want to repeat it.

"It was just some boy." She shrugs.

"Saying?" I ask.

She sighs as if hesitant but she gives in. "I know where you live and I will kill you and your family in front of your son before I kill him." Her voice got quieter and quieter as the sentence went on and she avoided all eye contact with everyone.

There was complete silence amongst all of us. Whether those boys were only trying to be jerks and scare us or if they meant what they said, we had to take action just in case and I let my opinion be known.

"Guys, I think we should go stay in a hotel for a while. Just to be sure ya know?"

"No, no." My mom declines. "There's no need for that. Why spend perfectly good money on something as dumb as a prank call?"

"Mom, it's just for safety. C'mon, we need to be sure." I say at an attempt of persuasion.

"I don't know, Kade. It just doesn't seem necessary. I mean, you have a point of course but I'm just not sure."

"Mom, it's fine. Honestly, there's nothing to lose but a couple of twenties unless you figure losing lives is a better option." I was getting upset at this point. Why wouldn't she choose our safety over anything. I thought she would have in a heart beat.

"Okay, okay. Ya know what, you're right. I guess we'll just find a room for a few days but don't be surprised if nothing extreme or exciting happens in these few days. And we're not staying long, you guys still have school."

Relieved, I get up from the stool I was seated on and head upstairs to pack. My siblings followed moments after.

***

We had settled on a small hotel just outside of town. It was my idea in terms of the location. I wanted to be sure they wouldn't find us if they were even planning on looking.

As we pull into the parking lot, I notice it's just a simple five story hotel with a nice surrounding row of bushes by the entrance doors.

***

I lay awake that night, staring at the ceiling. One dim stream of light leaked into the room and spread a thin line across my face. I was sharing a bed with Sierra. My mom got the other and Hunter got the floor.

As I concentrate on the silence, I can't help but lock the sync of their heavy breathing patterns in my head.

To think, I was the reason we were here. The only reason they had called the house was because they didn't like me. I sigh and pull my phone out from my pocket. The time says its 5:17 A.M.

I find Sean's name in my contacts before texting him. My hands are wrapped around the phone, fingers in position to type. But I just can't quite bring myself to let my thumbs touch the screen.

I hold my breath as I stare at the message bar, awaiting for my message to be inserted. Don't think I just wanted to text him. I knew exactly what I wanted to say, I just wasn't entirely sure if I wanted to say it just yet.

When else would you be able to tell him? I ask myself.

Figuring my thoughts had a point, I slowly typed the words, "You're the new team captain."

I then reread my message at least three times before pressing the send button. Putting my cell back in my pocket, I slide out of bed, careful not to shake the bed too much and wake Sierra.

I walk around my mom's bed, being cautious of Hunter, and made my way the the big window that nearly took up a whole wall. It wasn't really a window, but a door that was glass. It led out to a beautiful balcony that hung over their garden area.

I slide it open and step out. They had a nice white bamboo table and hard wood chairs neatly set up out there. Enjoying the cool air, I decide to sit for a while.

I lean back and close my eyes, absorbing the sounds and feelings around me. I take a deep breath. It's been a long time since I actually took time to take in my surroundings but, now that I did, I realized I liked it.

Somehow, I allow my brain to slowly trail back to the thoughts of the call. If I had heard the caller's voice, I probably would've been able to identify him.

Maybe if I...

My thoughts were interrupted by a vibrating coming from my pocket. Checking it instantly, I see my screen lit up with a notification of an incoming call from Sean.

I answer by tapping the green icon and the conversation of my life began...and I didn't even know it then.