XIV. Obdurate

obdurate (adjective):  stubbornly refusing to change one's opinion or course of action

How come I've never seen that gif before? Whaaat?

Noelle's POV

It's been over twenty minutes and still neither Estelle or Harry has come back yet. My fingernail taps anxiously on the surface of the shiny desk, but this does little to ease my mind and the thoughts that are racing through a mile a minute.

"He'll be fine," Royce assures, us being the only ones left in the room. Arthur and Klara decided to go down to the snack room to get some grub. I declined their invitation, knowing that Harry would need me when he returned.

I've seen him storm off like this before; he gets so frustrated and doesn't know what to do with all his pent up energy. I have a little more faith than before that he will take deep breaths and think about his choices before taking any sudden actions, but who is to say that he doesn't break from this news.

An abrupt amount of angst boils over in my stomach as I start to think about Des. I am all for Harry giving him another chance because I believe that he needs that father figure in his life, even if he doesn't want to admit it out loud, he does. But if Des is only going to put more stress on Harry's mind and take two steps back every time he gets his head over water, then maybe cutting off ties with him wouldn't be the worst thing. But as of right now, I don't want him making any decisions in this state and regretting them.

As much as Harry will want to tell me that he isn't going, he's going.

I won't let him stay here and be forced to deal with guilt if his father doesn't make it through surgery.

"I don't want him to just have to be fine all the time," I voice, hiding my head in my forearm. My right elbow is propped up on the taller desk beside me, fingers working magic against my temples. "There's no recovery from all this," I stress to Royce. "Harry says he handles it, but I don't think he ever really does. I need to go to him."

In that moment I stand to my feet and head for the door, but Royce stops me

In that moment I stand to my feet and head for the door, but Royce stops me. Pulling me back by my forearm lightly, he shakes his head with a pleading and sincere look. "Let them talk. Estelle is good with comforting people. Let her do what she does best."

I scoff and fall back down into my chair. He wouldn't be saying that if he knew that the reason behind multiple of Harry's major stressors is her and the lies she has very good stamina for keeping. I've been on the receiving end of her words and the way she manipulates them to make bad things sound somehow acceptable. It's hard to say no to her.

Another ten minutes pass by and I can't remember the last time that the clock seemed to drift ever so slowly in a circle. It feels like ages have surpassed us when the door across the room finally opens, only peaking agape at first before being opened wider. I straighten up in my seat, pursing my lips and preparing for the unexpected when I'm disappointed.

Arthur and Klara.

"Is Harry out there?" I ask and they look serious as they enter the room.

I'm convinced that this room is haunted; every time we've solved a case or found out a terrible detail that goes along with the master plan, it's been within these four falls. The walls that absorb lies and watch betrayals and falsehood. No one can step foot in here without feeling the weight of it fall on their shoulders.