13: Nightmoves

I felt a blush creep over my cheeks. It was rare for Aragorn to speak to me, let alone offer for me to continue with the company. That was the last thing that I expected.

"Y-you're sure?"

"If you wish to continue with us. I am certain that Haldir can provide us with suitable provisions for you, and a weapon of some kind"

I nodded. "I... Would like to accompany you"

He nodded. "Then you shall. But first..." He glanced down and I followed his gaze, to the bandage wrapped around my arm.

"Ah..."

"I wish to change the bandages, before they cause an infection"

"Of course. I really appreciate it"

He held up a finger, signaling for me to wait for a moment, and returned to the camp. I sat down, playing with the frayed fabric that covered the gash on my arm from my arrival. The forest was a dark green, the sun well past setting. A faint glow came from the pavilion and the elves who traveled through the wood with lights, but for the most part it was dark.

Thinking back, I frowned. The memories of my room at home, the people in my life, were starting to get hazy. I struggled to remember what came next in the book, and how the ending panned out, which was unlike me.

'Maybe.... Being here is making me forget....' I wondered to myself, as the Ranger returned with bandages in his hands.

He knelt down beside me and started unwrapping the bloody and dirty fabric. Cleanliness here was a whole different issue, and that would definitely take some getting used to. No showers, no running water, no bathrooms. Well, they had bathrooms, but not as I once knew them.

"No infection" he murmured, as the bandage fell away.

The interaction between us was strained. There was a heaviness to the air, stopping me from making a comment in return. I was uncomfortable almost, but there was no anger or animosity anymore.

He worked quickly, removing the stitches and cleaning the scratch with a damp cloth. We were silent, aside from the quiet sound of me taking deep breaths through my nose to calm myself. Removing stitches was unpleasant, especially without painkillers.

As he wrapped my arm again, I glanced at his neck, eyes travelling along the silver chain that held the pendant from Arwen. It was almost glowing, even in the dark, it was so crystal white. A stark change from the battered and torn clothes that the Ranger wore. Surprisingly for his appearance, he didn't smell unpleasant, nor did the rest of the company.

"Thank you" I said softly, looking at him.

He nodded, grabbing what he had brought. He offered me a small, awkward nod, before disappearing back into camp and leaving me to my thoughts.

All of this... It was so strange, yet oddly unsurprising. I wasn't uncomfortable surrounded by the dark forest, or in the company of rugged men like Boromir and Aragorn, like I assumed I would be. It seemed the longer I was here, the less I remembered about how I lived when I was with my family.

I stood up and returned to the camp slowly, coming across Boromir and Aragorn. Boromir had visible streaks from tears falling down his face.

"-looks to me to make things right...and I would do it, I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze...have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"

I stayed quiet, listening to the conversation while looking out at the flickering lights of Caras Galadhon.

"I have seen the white city... long ago"

Turning on my heel, I returned to camp and sat down on a rock next to Legolas.

"He changed your bandage" the elf noted after a moment of silence.

I nodded softly, staring at the fire. I could feel Legolas staring at me.

"The world... From which you came... It is strange, compared to these lands...."

"Yes, it is..."

"Do you miss it?"

"No"

~

We talked for a while, exchanging stories from both our worlds. He told me about great battles, and the stories that elves were told as a child, and in return I told him stories that I loved.

He was curious to learn, and soon I learned that the whole company was eager. Without me realizing, the company had all turned their eyes to me, listening as I told the story of "Beauty and the Beast". I always preferred the Brothers Grimm versions anyway, so the story was full of peril, danger, and kept the attention of the group sitting around the fire. By the time I had finished, the Hobbits were asleep, save for Frodo, who was no longer in his makeshift cot. I knew that Aragorn had noticed, his posture visibly changing when he realized the ring-bearer was no longer with us.

Annabelle....

So it's a little shorter than usual, but part 13! I'm trying to keep up with this (for now anyway) but my schedule keeps getting busier so if its irregular I apologize. I haven't forgotten, and I WILL BE AROUND. I am determined to finish this story!

Love,

A