Living With Them (6)

Chapter 6

The drive to work is quiet. Pierce's gaze is set on the road, his hand gripping the steering wheel and his other hand on his lip ring. Glancing between him and outside my window, I feel pretty content. I don't know how to explain the feeling, but it was something that felt more like a security blanket, being in the car with him. It's weird, I know. 

The silence stretches on and eventually, I can't handle it. I was about ready to rip little doll's heads off (because I'm just going that insane). Reaching over I fiddle with the radio station's with Pierce glancing over. 

I settle on a popular pop station and settle back in my seat letting the singer's voice drone out the silence. I'm tapping my fingers to the beat of the song when I hear a soft humming. Without turning my head, I flicker my gaze to see Pierce mouthing the words. 

Smirking, I open my mouth. "IT'S GOING DOWN. I'M YELLING TIMBER. YOU BETTER MOVE. YOU BETTER DANCE!" Pierce jumps and hits his head on the roof of his car, wincing and casting a glare in my direction.

Then without missing a beat, he picks up where I left off. "LET'S MAKE A NIGHT YOU WON'T REMEMBER!" he shouts, a grin on his face. 

"I'LL BE THE ONE YOU WON'T FORGET!" we finish off together, laughing. The song contines, but it's Pitbull's part and neither of us know it. We sit there grinning at each other at a red light. The light turns green and the person behind us blare their horn impatiently. 

We continue our drive to work with the atmosphere in a lighter mood. 

"You have a fabulous singing voice," I tell him chuckling. Pierce shoots me a fake glare, his arm resting near mine. 

"You tell this to Blake or Colin, I'll kill you," he warns, a chuckle escaping his lips.

"Hmmm... Darn. I was already thinking of a great way to start it off. Maybe I'll tell Ben instead," I tease. At the mention of Ben's name, a dark look passes over Pierce's face. Soon it vanishes and a smile is brought back to his lips. 

"I'd rather you not but whatever," he shrugs it off, quickly parking in front of Angel's Diner and unlocks the door. "I'll pick you up when your shift's over." 

I purse my lips and nod, stepping out of the car. Pierce's car skids away, making my eyebrows furrow. What was that about? 

I step into the bustling diner, the questions still lingering in my head. I head towards the back to find Ben studying a clipboard. He looks up and seeing it's me, he breaks into the widest grin I've seen. 

"Audrey!" he exclaims. His smile is so contagious. 

"Hey!" I walk over and hug him. He wraps his arms around me and rests his head on my shoulder, squeezing gently. Although the feeling is warm, there's something off about it. I just can't place my finger on it. 

Someone clears their throat. Ben and I quickly push away from each other, both of us turning flaming red, as if we were caught doing something much more scandolous than hugging. 

A petite brunette has a thin eyebrow raised, with an amused smirk. Her arms are crossed over the Angel's Diner apron and from beneath the hem of it, I see a pair of combat boots. Her hair's pulled back to reveal one ear lined with piercings. 

"Oh! Ivy, uh this is Audrey." Ben scratches the back of his neck as he introduces us. Ivy beams at me and sticks out a hand to shake. 

"So your the new girl Ben won't shut up about," she smirks at Ben over my shoulder. I hear him cough and mutter something under his breath.