Living With Them (4)

[Blake is at the side! ]

I find myself standing in front of Angel's Diner. Breathing in deeply, I push the door open and hope to see Ben. At first he's not in sight, but the kitchen doors are flung open to reveal Ben carrying two trays filled with food. 

Walking by, I grab a tray and Ben jumps, a bit startled. I cast him a smile. "You need a little help?"

"Audrey! Hey," he smiles widly. "No no have a seat, I'll get to you in a bit." He tries to take back the tray away and I step back. 

"No, I want to help." I look at the table number on the paper and walk to a family of six. "Who ordered a grilled cheese with extra chesse?" I ask, picking up the plate with the sandwich. Soon after, the family has their food, happy with the service. 

I walk back to Ben who was observing me. "Have you ever worked as a waitress?" He asks. I shake my head. "You're pretty good. We've been needing some more hands here so do you wanna take the job?" He offers.

I break into a grin. "That'd be amazing. You're the best, Ben!" I can't hold in my excitement. I fling my arms around Ben. When I pull away, I notice his cheeks flaring slightly and a goofy smile on his lips. 

"You know, you're a lot cuter this happy," Ben remarks. Soon, my cheeks are pink. If only Pierce could say nice things to me like Ben does... No. Stop it Audrey.

"Thanks.. So when do I start?" 

"Tomorrow sound good? I'll give you a little tour of the diner and you can start at the lunch shift. Sound good?" 

"Sounds great!" My smile never falls off my lips. 

"Alright, well would you like something to eat?" Ben asks, walking back behind the counter. I take a seat at the same stool I did the day before and think. 

"Just some coffee," Ben brews the coffee and looks over.

"So how has it been living with the Three Stooges?" He asks. 

"It's been an experience I've never had before," I let out a laugh. "They've been nice to me, so that's all that matters."

"Even Pierce?" he raises an eyebrow, handing me my coffee. 

I think for a moment, remembering last night. "Yea, even Pierce. Although he's trying not too," Especially this morning. Who knows what's up with that boy. 

"That's pretty surprising. I've known Pierce since the ninth grade. Before he was a genuinely nice person. Everyone loved him. But now he's a bit cold. Doesn't let anyone in. The fact that he's being remotely friendly to someone new is a big step for him," Ben shrugs a bit.

I ignore my coffee, getting interested in what ben was telling me. "So.. What made him so cold and bitter?" 

Ben opens his mouth, but thinks better of it. "It's not my place to tell you," he casts me an apologetic smile. 

"Right.." I mutter, taking a sip from my coffee. I make a face. "You didn't add sugar did you?"

"Shit, I must have forgotten. Sorry," Ben rushes for the sugar packets and hands me some. I pour them in and stir, my thoughts wandering. Some customers walk in and Ben walks over, taking their orders. 

I wonder what made Pierce change his ways. Maybe we can go up to the roof tonight and maybe, just maybe, he'll tell me. But what if he asks me about my personal life? It wouldn't be fair if he told me and I didn't. But maybe I should tell him... No I'm not ready.