XXIX

"You look lovely," she smiled, her tone dripping with sarcasm. "Freedom certainly becomes you."

Right off the starting block, I see.

"I assume it does," I replied, keeping my tone even.

She didn't look amused.

"Well, I must say, I am rather impressed."

"How so?"

"At how well you seemed to have charmed your way out of trouble yet again," she said flatly. "I mean, how else would it be that my Tyler ends up in rehab, for doing all the same misdemeanors as yourself, and yet you have no sentencing at all? Must be quite lovely having such influence on how the courts are run."

I felt my jaw tense, but was careful to control my anger.

"I must disagree," I said evenly. "I was not driving the car, Mrs Shaffer. It was not my idea to go for a joy ride. Yes, I take full responsibility for my attendance, but it was not of my influence that it occurred. That rests with Tyler."

Her dark eyes blazed angrily.

"How dare you," she growled. "You walk around here as though everyone is below you, as though you have no consequences. It is you who makes the headlines, my Tyler dragged down by your name. And yet, when you finally make a mistake that should ruin you, it is him who ends up the worst off."

"I have nothing to do with the sentencing that Tyler received. Just as I had no control over my own punishment."

She laughed a merciless laugh. "Punishment? What punishment? Other than the fact that you haven't been out gallivanting and disgracing your poor grandfather, what other concessions were you forced to make?"

I felt myself go cold, the vitriol in her voice feeling like a slap to my face. She had never once cared for my presence in Tylers life one way or another. She was never even around enough to know who Tylers friends were. I knew this had nothing to do with Tyler, and everything to do with her own political image. His sentencing, his involvement in that night surely could not have been positive for her. And now, she was taking it out on me.

"Mrs Shaffer," I said calmly through gritted teeth. "With all due respect, you seemed to have no issue with my friendship with Tyler when it got your name in the headlines."

Her eyes widened, before narrowing angrily. "How dare you, you..."

"Is everything alright?" a deep, raspy voice sounded at my side. I turned with a start to find Harry looking at me intently, his green eyes burning. He turned to Tylers mother, his gaze staring her down.

Her mouth shut with a snap as she took him in. She literally scanned him from head to toe, as if appraising whether he was someone she did not want to overhear this side of her. Once she had assessed the fact he was not of importance to her career, she turned back to me, ignoring him completely.

"One day, you will fall from the pedestal you sit on," she spat. "And I hope I'm there to see it."

She gave me no chance to respond, before she turned on her heel and stomped off quickly. The moment she was several paces away, I exhaled, the heavy, weighted breath I had been holding finally releasing. In that same moment, Harry was in front of me, his hands on my arms.

"Charlie?" he said gently. "You okay?"

I took several deep breathes, my face flushed and my eyes burning. I hadnt expected a confrontation like that. I had never considered her hatred for me based on my presence on a night that her son put in to motion. I took responsibility for my participation, but it was not of my doing.