XV

Waking the next morning, I felt the first sense of normalcy I had felt in weeks. I felt relaxed, and somewhat eager to actually leave the house. It was the first time I had wanted to actually venture beyond the high walls of our compound since the accident. But suddenly, I wanted to be out, to walk the London streets.

I wanted to go shopping.

Immediately, when the thought struck me, it was quickly coupled with an annoying irritation. I was on a 'budget' now, according to the judges ruling, and Harrys enforcement. Admittedly, I had never put much thought or consideration in to the money I spent. If I wanted, it I bought it. My belief system was that having money as I did was my payment for having the life I didn't. For having the restrictions of Royal obligation, for having no privacy for any milestone. For all the things I lost out on, the financial benefits were the consolation.

But my sullenness passed when I remembered Harry had put me on a fifty quid a day restriction, but if I spent nothing one day, it could be collected towards another. And, in reality, I probably hadnt spent more than fifty quid in the last two weeks. This gave me a decent amount to have at my disposal today.

I knew he would probably try and deter me from my desire, as he always seemed to do any time I wanted to do anything I found normal. But at the same time, I was already considering my arguments, thinking back over his own words, his own rules, and how I could skew them to my needs.

Showering, applying my makeup, and dressing hastily, I downed a quick bowl of cereal in the main kitchens without even going to the dining room. The kitchen staff were amused, smirking and commenting that I seemed rather eager. I supposed I did.

I all but skipped down to Fords room, knocking on his door. He appeared moments later, his gruff expression and close cropped dark hair always making him seem so imposing. But the casual t-shirt and track pants he wore were a striking difference from his suit required of his job.

"Charlie?" he queried, his brow furrowing. "Everything okay?"

"Yup," I smiled. "Can we go out shopping today?" I asked. "I haven't been out in ages."

I didn't miss the way his lips curved down in to a frown. Crossing his thick, tree truck arms over his broad chest, he regarded me cautiously.

"Have you talked to Harry about this?"

Now it was my turn to frown. "No," I snapped. "I don't need his permission."

A light twitch of a smirk replaced his frown. "No, not his permission. But you know the new rules. He has to come with you, just like I do. And it may be a good idea to talk to him before we go, since he's in charge of your spending now."

My frown challenged his smirk, until I was in a full on pout.

"Now, don't you pull that crap," he scolded. "Put that pout away, that hasn't worked on me since you were small. I will take you out if you want, but not until Harry is on board."

I only pouted further, as if to make a childish point, before huffing and stalking down to Harrys room. He was several down from Ford, and as I reached his door, I caught sight of Ford peaking out from his room, making sure that I was, in fact, checking with Harry.

Sticking my tongue out at him, I knocked on Harrys door.

I waited several minutes, waiting for Harry to open the door. When nothing happened, I knocked again, this time louder. Leaning forward, I moved to set my ear against the door, listening for any sound of movement beyond.

Maybe he wasn't in? Maybe he was in the library? Or maybe the kitchen, if he slept late, he could...

The door pulled open quickly, erasing my pondering from my mind. Straightening quickly, I opened my mouth to ask hastily about shopping, before my breath caught in my throat.