Chapter 50

The first thing I saw was Paulo's dark eyes, shining up at me, full of laughter, of hope.

Of love.

For me.

My heart sang out with it and I covered my mouth as I began to scan through the pictures he'd sent, almost every single one of them revealing the truth of our feelings for each other. And then the texts followed.

Anica Tomlin, you have stolen my heart and I will not take it back. Thursday, 3:28 AM. Right after he left the Lazzaro house, probably even before he left the driveway.

I fell asleep with you in my arms last night, but awakened today to find it was only a dream. I cannot wait to see you tomorrow. Thursday, 6:04 AM. While I was getting dressed to go work in the olive groves.

Ani, tomorrow afternoon cannot possibly come soon enough. All I can think about is you. Aunt Sharon just shakes her head when she walks by me. Thursday, 7:08 AM. While I was enjoying a last cup of coffee and another one of Margarite's delicious breakfast rolls.

I know you will not get this message until you get home and I will tell you in person before you do. But I must tell you now or I will burst. Ani, I love you. Thursday, 7:23 AM. While I was being wheeled out to the groves, Margarite's lunch basket balanced on my lap.

I wish I could talk to you, see you. I have tried calling Isa's phone all morning but there is no answer. My grandparents called. My mother was in a car accident and I must go to her, Ani. Thursday, 12:16 PM. While I was finishing up Margarite's yummy gelato dessert and fielding Cosimo advances.

I cannot reach you. Isa must not have her phone with her. Aunt Sharon and I are leaving Italy tomorrow morning very early. We should arrive that same afternoon because of the time change, but for you it will be the middle of the night so I will not try calling Isa again until Saturday morning, Italy time. I miss you with all my heart." Thursday, 7:16 PM. While we were eating a delicious dinner that Margarite so lovingly prepared.

We are at the airport and will be boarding in an hour. Ani, please know this is not goodbye. I will find you." Friday, 5:48 AM. While I was standing on the terrace with Franco, watching Cosimo walk away.

And then the times were off and I realized he'd arrived in the United States.

Ani, I have seen my mother. There is nothing I can do to help her, except to pray. I wish you were here beside me, praying with me. It is still too early in Italy to call, and I must return to my mother's room. I can't use my phone in there, so I don't know when I can call, but I will keep trying to reach you. I will not let you go, Ani. I will find you, no matter what. Friday 6:28 PM. While I was tossing and turning in bed, long before dawn, awake, aching for him.

There is good news tonight, Ani. My mother's doctor tells me she is stable, even though she is still in danger, because she is not deteriorating. It is a good sign, Ani. She is not awake yet, but I think she knows I am here and it is helping her fight. I wish you were here with me. I need to feel your arms around me. Friday, 8:03 PM. While I was shooting like a bullet across Italy to get to him.

Ani. I need you. Friday, 9:40 PM. While I was passing through airport checkpoints to get to him.

Ani. I need you. Saturday, 7:43 AM. While I was crossing the ocean to get to him.

I need you, Ani. Saturday, 5:19 PM. Only half an hour ago, while I was buying a new phone so I could get in touch with him.

My hands were shaking as I hit the reply button and typed, Paulo, tell me where you are. I am coming.

There was also an email from Madalina.

Princess Grace,

I have heard from Paulo. He left a message while I was asleep so I missed it. I have not yet spoken to him, but he wanted me to let you know he had arrived safely. His mother is alive and is fighting to hold on. His aunt Sharon went with him and she helps with his grandparents who are, of course, very worried. He is exhausted and cannot have his phone in the hospital unit where they are because of all the machines and so he does not answer his calls. Paulo said he would call Isa as well, so perhaps you have already heard from her. He told me to give you a message when I see you again, but I think I may not see you for some time, no? So here is his message. I am to tell you how sorry he was to leave without saying goodbye, and to tell you to remember that he is an all for nothing guy. Do you know what that means? I hope so. He said it was very important I tell you that.

I am praying for you, my dear friend. You are doing the right thing to find Paulo. I can hear the suffering in his voice. He needs you there beside him, Ani. You are his angel right now.

I hug you with very long arms,

Madalina

I called my mother to let her know I was stateside, and that I had a phone.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do?' she asked. "You could still come home. We could be there in a few hours to pick you up."

"I'm sure, Mom. He needs me, and I—I need to be there. I told him I'd be there."

"True hope is swift," she quoted from Shakespeare's King Richard III, and I laughed at her next words. "And flies with swallow's wings."

"That's me, Mom. La rondine."

"You're the bravest girl I know, Anica Tomlin." I thought I heard tears in her voice. "I love you. And I'm proud of you."

I finally called Tish and filled her in on everything. For the first time in all the years I've known her, I'd left her almost speechless. All she could come up with to say was, "Giiirrl."

"So," I said, after a long silence. "I know. I'm crazy."

She took a long, deep breath and I could almost hear the wheels picking up speed again. "Ani. Ani! Is this really you? I mean, this is crazy town kind of stuff, you know?"

I laughed out loud. "Yes. This is really me, and yes, it is crazy town stuff. But I am crazy about him, Tish. And he's crazy about me." Even saying it out loud filled me with such joy I thought I might burst.

She grew serious, her tone careful, tender. "You know, this could backfire, Ani. Are you prepared for that? I mean, if it doesn't work out the way you're picturing it in your head?"

She knew me well. I had thought about it. I had pictured it a thousand times and a thousand more. Every scenario, every possible outcome, I'd played out in my mind. "It's not about me, Tish. It's about him. He needs me there. I've flown halfway around the world to be by his side, because I said I would. I don't need to know how it's going to work out. I just need to be there with him, for him, wherever he is, right now."

"Okay." She said the word with such resolution I had to laugh. "Okay. Go chase your man down, girlie. But to assuage my hurt feelings for holding out on me, do you have any pictures of Dr. Scrumdidliumptious you could send? You did get pictures of Cozytime, right? And his Maserati? Did you know those things do zero to sixty in five seconds?"

Tish had found her words again. I sent her a picture of me and Paulo under his parents' tree heart and wrote, "Dr. Who?"

She sent me back the television show's wacky theme song by way of agreement and didn't ask for anything else. But I'd get Isa to send me a few pictures of the property, of her and the family. Of Madalina and Pops and Crina.

Maybe one day I'd even return to Lucca. WithPaulo.