Chapter 31

Isa came by my room as I was still debating whether or not to go looking for her. It wasn't very late, but I could tell things were settling in for the night by the sounds drifting through the house.

"I saw your light on and thought I should check on you before I go to bed. Is there anything you need from me?" She had changed into a set of silk pajamas the hung from her petite frame, yet somehow still looked elegant on her. She looked tired, though, and I almost hesitated, not wanting to burden her with anything else. But I knew my dependency on these people's hospitality was because I didn't have access to my funds. My need spurred me to speak.

"Actually, I do have one small thing. I forgot to ask Cosimo about my credit card. My bank was supposed to mail it to his office. I think it should have arrived by now."

"Of course! And we must pick up your police report, as well." She glanced at the slender watch on her wrist. "Do you want me to call Cosi or would you like to speak to him?"

I hesitated just a fraction of a second, but she noticed. "It is late," she declared. "I will call him. I need to speak to him about this weekend, so it works out well for me to call. Is that all you need? Your credit card? Are you expecting anything else?"

"That's it. Thank you."

She straightened and said, "Ani, would you be comfortable to stay here alone while Gerardo and I go to work? We are thinking we will need to have a few days in town before Thursday, so perhaps we will stay until Wednesday night."

"What's happening Thursday? The olives?"

"Yes. Papa has decided it is time to harvest what fruit we can from some of the healthier trees close to the house. It is not worth the time to sort through what is left on the rest of the trees in the groves. The harvest is lost this year and we must move forward. We will only have enough olives to make for our own use, and it is sad to say that it will not be the best quality." She shook her head slowly, but continued. "Besides picking, we will have much to do to prepare as we sterilize equipment and containers. Then we will open the frantoio doors on Friday morning, but instead of two months, we will only stay open for perhaps a few weeks, and only during the day. There are very few in our community who have olives to bring."

"Oh Isa. Are people going to be okay, do you think?" I couldn't even imagine what the effects of a loss like this would be, not just for a single family, or even for a farming community, but apparently, for nearly a whole country.

"We will work together, Ani. It is the way of life here. Friends and family stick together. We help each other." Her words were promising, but the weariness I'd seen on her face when she first came in permeated the timbre of her voice. "So, Gerardo and I must return to town tomorrow to prepare his office for at least a week off."

I opened my mouth to assure her that was absolutely fine, but she spoke before I could, her hands flying to her mouth. "Oh, Ani!" Isa exclaimed, crossing the room to the bed. She sat down beside me and grabbed my hand. "The consul. I did not think of it. Even if you have everything you need to renew your passport, you still need to go to the U.S. Consulate in Firenze. In Florence." I could see the wheels turning inside her head, putting two and two together with the few days left before the frenzy of the harvest.

"It's okay, really," I assured her. "It's not your responsibility to work all this out. Your plate is full, Isa."

"But how will you manage?"

"If I have my bank card, I can get my money and get a train ticket or even a bus ticket and go next week when I can put weight on my foot. It means you'll have to put up with me a little longer, but I'll help around here in any way I can. Please don't worry about me." I squeezed her hand back.