Chapter 36

I awoke shortly before seven, just as the sun was fluffing her skirts outside my window, but already I could hear the sound of pots and pans and clinking dishes interspersed with bits of conversation emanating from the direction of the kitchen. I had set the alarm clock on my nightstand for 7:30, but there was no way I was going back to sleep. The anticipation of the day was like a live wire in my blood, and I was instantly wide awake.

Paulo would be here at nine to pick me up. I'd spoken to Claudia last night about me taking off for the day, and she'd assured me they did not need my help today, that I should enjoy the beautiful day with my wonderful young man. The twinkle in her eyes made me blush, partly because I was really looking forward to doing just that, and partly because I wondered what she thought of me spending the day with Paulo when Cosimo had kind of staked a claim on me. Or maybe he hadn't. Maybe he treated all their house guests so affectionately. And assistants. I rolled my eyes, determined not to let Dr. Deceitful interfere with my plans.

I took extra care with my appearance again, donning a pair of black pants with wide legs to fit over my brace and loosely laced boot, and a black camisole, the neckline trimmed with a thin strip of lace and sequins. Over that, I wore the bolero style jacket I'd had on the day of my accident, and added the same chunky jade choker I'd worn yesterday for a little contrasting color. I thought the ensemble classy and professional, with enough pizazz to not be boring, and I seriously doubted Paulo would care if he saw me in the same accessories more than once.

It was after eight when I made my way down the hall to the kitchen. Only Claudia was there, at the sink, elbow deep in soapy water, washing what appeared to be hundreds of bottles in the monstrous sink. She greeted me warmly and nodded her head in the direction of the terrace.

"You should look out there right now. The morning fog still fills the valley. It is a wonder to see."

As I made my way toward the door, she called out after me. "I will bring a cappuccino to you. You will not want to come back inside so quickly once you see how beautiful it is."

I rolled out onto the terrace and literally gasped at the vision before me. The fog, indeed, seemed to fill the valley below us like a mythical lake, the sun casting an iridescent glow over the surface of it. The distant mountain range rose up out of the mist like some far off magic lands. There was no breeze rustling the leaves around me, no sound at all but the muffled tones of conversation coming from inside the house, and the birds in the trees around the house paying homage with great gusto to the glorious new day. The morning was ripe with the stillness of anticipation, and I was almost afraid to move, lest I break the spell and send everything spinning into motion.

Claudia appeared shortly and handed me a foam-topped espresso drink in a huge mug. She didn't say anything and we shared a few companionable moments before I finally whispered, "I've never seen anything quite like this before, Claudia. It's spectacular."

"Yes. It is like this almost every morning in the fall, but you must be up at the right time to catch it, usually much earlier than this. Blink your eyes too many times and the fog disappears. Many people live in this part of the country for years and never catch this moment." She turned to look down at me. "I am glad you did not miss it."

I heard Fabio's voice in my head. Lucca is full of light and joy. If you look for it with open eye and open heart and open hand, you will find happy here, okay?

Claudia headed back inside, leaving me to enjoy my coffee alone. Some time later, I heard her footsteps crossing the threshold behind me and glanced over my shoulder to thank her for the coffee, having forgotten to do so.