After The Death Cure: Next Life

A short one-shot requested by @kimhoesok :) Hope you like it!

"Maybe not in this life, love. Maybe our love just wasn't meant to be. Especially in a world like ours."

I hear the same voice every night. The exact same voice, but it's a voice I have never heard before. I hear the voice mostly at night when I'm about to drift to sleep, but I also hear the voice when I'm wide awake.

If I could find a way to talk back, I would. I have so many questions. Who are you? Where are you? Why are you talking to me?

I can't think of one person who could possibly tell me these things. It all seems too unrelatable to me. I've never loved anyone romantically before. Never. I haven't been in a relationship before, either. I don't even have many male friends, so who is this male voice in my head?

Whoever it was, he seemed to have an accent. An accent that kind of gave me the feeling of honey. Whatever that meant. I told my best friend, Teresa, about it. First, she laughed about it thinking I was crazy. She told me I needed to find love, since I was probably going crazy. I knew she couldn't understand. She already found love with a boy named Thomas.

One day, I went to work as usual. I worked in a small café on the corner of a busy street. The café was located in the city, so we had a lot of customers all the time. One day, it was raining. Hard. The café was almost empty for the first time in a while. We had at least four customers.

I was wiping the counter with a damp cloth when I noticed an extraordinarily attractive looking man sitting in the corner, drinking a cup of coffee. I didn't know how I didn't notice him earlier. Had he been here the whole time? I couldn't help myself. I had to keep glancing at him every now and then. I've never seen someone so...

I quickly looked away when he looked up from the newspaper in his hands. He was truly beautiful. But there was something about him that made me feel a sense of familiarity. It was like I knew him from somewhere. I just felt it.

Minutes later, he folded the newspaper into his brown bag. He had finished his coffee, meaning he would have to leave. I had an urge to follow him, for some reason. I was frustrated for not knowing why.

Once he opened the door to leave the café, I surprised myself by running after him. I felt like I knew him from somewhere, and this was my only chance.

"We only get lucky once and that's the truth."

"Wait!" The words came out of my mouth like it was a part of a script.

The man turned around when I called out to him. I had almost forgotten that it was raining. The two of us were getting drenched. The people around us continued to walk past normally, as the two of us stared at each other in shock. Then, it all came back.

"Maybe not in this life, love. Maybe our love just wasn't meant to be. Especially in a world like ours. I said nothing could separate us, but I was wrong. I forgot the fact that not all stories have happy endings, like ours. I love you. I really do. But it's time to say goodbye. I want you to leave with Thomas and the others. It sounds dumb, but you all have to leave me to die. You can't take a crank with you to the safe haven. You said you don't believe in past lives, but I promise I'll find you one day. Just wait for the day, Y/N. Wait, because it will be worth it. Trust me."

And she did. The day he found her was today.

Newt's lips parted. "I missed you."