Last minute decisions

It was almost 2 in the morning when I finally finished the biology paper that was due two weeks from now. Not being able to sleep had its perks, I had to admit but there was only so much I could do when I wasn't out hunting or finishing homework that were due weeks later or spending time with my boyfriend and his family.

Yes, we lived in the same house and hell, I was even sharing a room with Edward but during the nights he was usually preoccupied with his brothers. Anyone could hear them cursing and shouting at the tv screen while they played video games all night long. Okay, maybe not all night long but you get the point. Edward loved spending time with his brothers. Especially when Alice and Rosalie had me to fuss over now.

Being the newest addition to the family and also being a girl at that, had made the girls - Alice especially - bubble with joy. That girl was already a walking bundle of happiness but since she had someone new as her play toy, she was over the moon. She and Rosalie would occasionally barge into the room and go on a major online supping spree with me or just spend time talking to me about everything and anything.

Our past stories had been shared over several nights and that made us get closer, if that was even possible. Rosalie was a little reluctant on sharing her past with us but after a few nights of plain old girls' time, she opened up.

But recently, I had been trying to steer clear of the girls, especially Alice. Over the past few days, I had been thinking about The Volturi and Aro. He was someone who would keep to his words and just like he had said, if I didn't make my way down to Italy, he would come down here.

I had tried to talk to Edward about it on a few occasions but he was hell bound on keeping me here in Forks; protected. It was sweet, definitely. After decades of being alone, it felt nice and even familiar to have someone care so much for me. Of course, i had agreed to stay put and not make any rash decisions. But then again, it was Aro. I couldn't just forget about it.

And that's the reason why I found myself contemplating going to Italy and asking Aro what he wanted from me. I didn't want Alice to have even the slightest suspicion over this, that's why I had been trying to distance myself from her. But during the times where I couldn't ignore her presence, I forced myself to think of other things. It wasn't easy, since Alice liked to pop out of thin air at literally any time to spend time with me. But if she ever saw my decisions in her visions, I would be as screwed as I could be.

Edward often asked me what was going on when he found me thinking alone or sitting in the music room, playing random keys on the piano. During all these times, I denied any assumptions he had and assured him that I was okay. But it didn't feel right lying to Edward. I hated hiding things from him but I had to keep reminding myself that I was doing this for him. For the safety of his family.

"Homework again?" I heard my favorite voice in the world snap me out of my thoughts. I turned around to lock eyes with Edward who was leaning against the doorframe. A lazy grin played on his lips as he made his way towards me.

I got up and stretched my arms out to invite him into my embrace. As soon as he snuggled his head into the crook of my neck, I smiled heartily.

"It never ends," I replied as I played with the roots of Edward's hair.

"You know," Edward started as he pulled away gently to look me in the eyes. "You have been way too busy with school work recently, is everything okay?"

"Everything is perfect." I smiled and pulled myself away from Edward to pack up my books. "How was game night?"

"Beat Emmett's ass twice in a row," Edward beamed proudly as he plopped onto his couch. "But Jasper got me in the last round. But I swear I let him win." He claimed.

I raised my eyebrows and nodded slowly. "Sure," I drawled out.

"C'mere," Edward called out to me and I spun around to see him raising his arms towards me. "I feel like I haven't been with you enough recently." He frowned.

I immediately abandoned my books and went over to his side in an instant, snuggling up against him on the couch. "Better?" I asked.

"Perfect." he stated as he started lining peppery, feather like kisses all over my face.

~~

The Cullens and I walked into school a couple of hours later, sticking close to our significant others. I stayed close to Edward as I tried not to let my nerves get the better of me. I had been thinking of visiting The Volturi lately and I had finally decided to make that trip today. The sooner the better anyway, right?

I tried hard not to think about how I was going to do it. With Alice around, I had to keep my decisions lowkey. I also had to make sure my emotions were in check before getting Jasper all suspicious about why I was feeling nervous all the time. It was already hard enough to keep Edward out of my head, I didn't want to alarm anyone else.

"I'll see you at lunch?" Edward asked sweetly as he walked me to my first class. I was having calculus while Edward was having Government in the block opposite mine.

"Yeah, that'll be great." I smiled and went up on my toes to kiss him goodbye. Edward's arms were like steel traps around me but I didn't mind. He could keep me in his arms all day if he wanted to.

But to me, this was like a real goodbye kiss. I was planning to bolt right after the first period. I did think of running off before calculus even started, but then I realized that I needed to make sure people saw me for at least an hour before I left. Then, maybe people might think I left because I was sick or what not.

Emmett's wolf whistle broke me out of my chain of thoughts and also made me pull away from Edward. If I was still human, I would have blushed like crazy. But thank god, I couldn't.

"See ya love birds," Emmett joked before walking away with Rosalie. Alice and Jasper had already left a long time ago, leaving Edward with me. 

"You should go." I urged Edward and he reluctantly let me go before taking a step away from me.

"Have fun at calculus," he said just as the school bell rang. 

"Oh, I will." I said sarcastically before turning away from him and walking into the classroom.

Just as my back was turned to Edward, my nerves started to kick in. I was going to do it, I was actually going to run away from him and his family. Maybe I was out of my mind or maybe I just wasn't thinking straight but I had to do this. I didn't want any chances taken with The Volturi. Especially not with the Cullens.

I had to go and it had to be now.