Our Everlasting Melody (17)

Start from the beginning

I didn't know what I was supposed to say. I knew she was right, but at the same time, I wasn't really dating Derrick. I was still dating Blake. I didn't want to have to think about ever having to go through a time where I had to get over him.

"I know it's weird," I whispered now. "It's still weird. I see Blake every day, and I remember all the things we did together and all the things we've been through. Sometimes I forget that we're not even together anymore. Sometimes it feels like everything that happened since he jumped off the bridge had been a dream. But I know that it wasn't. I knew that everything we've gone through was real. And I had to accept all of that. No one wants Blake and me together anymore, so... we can't be together. Both of us had to move on or else we would have just kept hurting."

My sister looked so sad, and it broke my heart. Why was she looking at me like that?

"Well, just so you know, Leah," she started now, her voice quiet. "I'm still rooting for you and Blake. I'd be perfectly fine with you two still dating. I don't know why anyone would ever say that your relationship is unhealthy. You two just loved each other so much. They couldn't see that, but I could."

Now would have been the perfect time to tell her. I could confess; I could tell her the truth about how I wasn't dating Derrick. I could finally tell someone that I was still dating Blake, and Thomas wouldn't be the only one that knew. I wanted to tell her, but my throat was now tightening up.

I cleared my throat. I could tell Morgan anything. Sure, she might have been angry at the fact that Derrick and I were tricking her, and at the fact I had lied and said that Blake and I had broken up, but she'd get over that quickly. She'd be on my side, unlike everyone else.

This was it. I was going to tell her, right then and there.

The doorbell rang then, and I almost shouted. I had no idea who it might have been, but that wasn't what mattered. My mom was out with a few of her friends, my dad was upstairs, and I was pretty sure Kyle was over at Derrick's. Who could be coming over so late?

When I saw Morgan wasn't about to get up, I sighed. "I guess I'll get it then..."

I grumbled to myself as I made my way to the front door. I just really hoped that it wasn't someone trying to sell something.

I opened the door to someone I definitely wasn't expecting to see.

My eyes widened at him. "Derrick? What are you doing here?"

"Hey," he greeted simply, almost sheepishly.

"Oh, no," I suddenly heard Morgan groan from behind me, and we both looked over at her. Of course, she heard that Derrick was at the door so she decided to follow. Se wagged her finger at us. "You two aren't fooling around upstairs together."

I blanched. "Alright, Morgan."

"And just to make sure," she continued on, as if she hasn't even heard me. "I'm going upstairs, and that's where I'll be. And you better not do anything down here because you don't know when Mom is going to come home and you don't know when Dad or I will come downstairs."

"Alright, Morgan, I—"

"And if I catch you doing anything, I'll forbid you from ever seeing each other ever again and I'll get Mom and Dad to—"

"Okay, Morgan!" I practically shouted at her. "I get it! We won't do anything!"

She gave us one last warning look before making her way up the stairs. Derrick and I didn't say anything to each other until we heard her bedroom door slam shut.

"I think she hates me," was the first thing Derrick said as he came inside and I shut the door behind him.

I let out a sigh as we both sat on my couch. "No, I think she just hates the idea of me being with anyone but Blake."