Chapter 25: Setting Out

Kaity rushed towards where the leader had dropped Henry's body. He had his icy whip raised. Kaity drew her bloody dagger from her boot. She ran in a wide arc, the whip was not fast enough to catch her, until she flew forward and stabbed him in the back of the neck. Blood flowed out of the wound and the Tallio looked amazed by her ability to wound him.

"Nobody kills my friends." She hissed before wrenching her dagger up into his brain. There was a crunch where it hit bone and she slid it out. The leader dropped beside Henry's body.

She knelt down beside it quickly followed by Daithey and the rest of the group. She picked up his crushed head. It was just an empty shell, she realized. She drew her hand out and it was coated with Henry's blood. "Oh Henry." She whispered sadly, tears running down her face. "My dear, dear friend. I will get those damn Tallio. For you and for dad." She whispered again before getting up. 

She was immediately enveloped in Daithey's warm hug. He was crying too. Soon everyone was hugging each other, comforting each person while also being comforted. Ingrid stood off in the distance watching the Tallio retreat. She had done almost nothing in the fight. Kaity noticed she didn't look at all sad that he was dead. She started getting angrier and angrier at the girl until she turned and yelled at them.

"Dad! They've taken Dad." They all stopped hugging and dried their tears. They saw their welcoming friend being dragged off. The town was in ruins. Everyone they had not captured was strewn dead across the plains. Quinten was gone and they all started looking for him.

"I think he's either dead or he escaped." Drege said finally. "We have to get a move on and follow those Tallio. We need to save those prisoners." He went off to try and find the horse. The stables were in the forest, so the Tallio did not think to look for it. They found their horses all clumping together. Cathy's horse was healed, but still slightly weak.

"Cathy, you can take Henry's horse. We don't want Erie slowing us down or getting even more hurt. Come on, let's go!" Drege announced, hoisting onto Lance, and the rest did the same.

"Ah, what about me?" Ingrid asked, crossing her arms.

"You are not coming." Kaity said curtly.

"Oh, yes I am. I'm not staying here to starve, and I want to save my dad." She smiled and got up on her own pearly white horse. The horse looked slow and used to nothing as hard as their journey.

"Fine, you can come along." Kaity conceded, urging her horse out of the doorway. The whole company began galloping up the hill.

"I don't like to gallop." Ingrid complained.

"You keep up, or you go back." Kaity replied harshly, and everyone agreed with her completely.

They galloped up the way the Tallio had went and set off towards the completion of their mission.