00: prologue

>>>

18 year old Noah Sadler was living the high school dream. He was popular, the captain of the lacrosse team and he was an all-A student. Every girl in the school wanted notice from him, all of the boys envied him, and every teacher and parent in town adored him. He was the epitome of an all American kid. His relationship with his family was better than anyone could ask for; his parents were supportive of his decisions, and his younger sister was one of the best friends he'd ever had.

Growing up, Sutton Sadler kept her distance from most people. She was a very withdrawn person; despite being in the middle of her teenage years, she only had a handful of people she considered friends, and most of them were boys. She had come to realize that most of the girls she encountered were polar opposites of herself; she preferred to either spend time with her brother, her select few boy friends, or just be completely by herself. Sutton was somewhat of a cynical young woman, and she believed having fewer people around made it that much easier when they decided to leave. Optimism was not normally in her vocabulary. She was fluent in sarcasm, her wardrobe was made up of mostly black, and she tended to swear a little more than most girls. While she had bright blue eyes, long blonde hair and a pretty face that so many people desired, she never conformed to how society seemed to have wanted her to look and act. She was very independent, and would never second-guess her decisions off of someone else's happiness. Except when it came to her brother; he was the most important person in her life. His opinions almost mattered more to her than her own. So it was only natural that when her older brother began acting out in fits of rage after his lacrosse matches, she would take notice.

Sutton was intently watching the field as Noah's high school lacrosse team was matched up against their rival school's team. Her knees were bouncing under her dark skinny jeans and the small heel from her black combat boots was tapping the metal bleachers in nervousness. She had both of her hands on the side of her head, anticipating the intense next move of the players. "Come on Noah!" her father yelled from directly next to her. The bleachers were completely filled with spectators, seeing as this was the the biggest match up of the state when it came to high school rivalry, and it happened to be the Lacrosse State Championship game where Noah was the star player. In California, lacrosse was the sport of choice. For them, lacrosse was what football was to everyone else.

'Come on Noah, get the ball', Sutton thought to herself as she continued to nervously bounce her leg. She quickly looked to her right at the scoreboard before looking back at the action. "Thirty seconds left and we're still down one goal", she anxiously whispered to her mother. She knew that if Noah could get the ball, he could tie the game before the time ran out.

From across the field, a boy yelled Noah's name as he launched the ball toward him. It landed safely in the net on the end of the stick Noah was holding when suddenly, something changed. She narrowed her eyes in on her brother as he stopped running and was noticeably breathing heavier than normal with his head looking directly down at the ground. As one of the opposing team members ran up to try and retrieve the ball, Noah did something she had never seen him do before- he dropped the stick, and with that, the ball, and violently threw the other boy to the ground with an audible crack. But instead of the kid getting back up, he stayed on the ground, visibly in pain and grabbing at his leg. Noah stood over this boy, his back arched and his breath visible from the night air. He did nothing but stare down at him until the referee and the opposing coach rushed to aid the injured boy. Sutton stood up quickly, terrified at what she had just seen.

It only took about ten seconds for the referee to eject Noah from the remainder of the game. Without even arguing back, Noah quickly snapped out of his trance like state and stormed off of the field, yanking his helmet off in anger. Sutton and her parents abruptly stood up from the bleachers after the referee blew the whistle and followed after their fuming player as the buzzer signaling the end of the game went off behind them. Sutton was the first to reach Noah in the parking lot and when she pulled on his arm, she could have sworn he growled as his eyes lowered down to meet hers. Confused and convinced her imagination was running wild, Sutton brushed the noise aside in her mind as he shook himself from her grasp. "Noah, what in the hell was that?" their father asked from behind them.